Ever take out your entire collection?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ed Zak, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

I was thinking about the posts on storage and thought what about display? Do we ever look at our entire collection?

It seems that when I add a new coin, I would look at it for a minute or two whereby it would end back in the safe and/or binder...only to be looked at specifically when it crossed my mind.

It was a raining this weekend and between snaps of football, I took out the entire collection to see everything at once! Afterwards, it felt good to actually see the progress of my hobby staring at you from a table versus the safe.

Here's my small collection viewed as a whole!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

I've never done it that way...I guess it would make you say "jeez, I have a lot of coins!"

I do sometimes do similar things with subsets of my collection. All of my Indian cents for example, or all of my still-fledgling type set to date. Actually, I just added a new coin to the type set yesterday (attached):

Attached Files:

4. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

i dont have that big of a coin collection and lot i have are in sealed mint tubes but i do have a pretty good silver and gold bullion collection which i sometimes count and look at as someone would there bank account

5. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Nice bustie. Where did you get it??

6. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

That's a good photo for insurance purposes!!

7. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

Bought it from Steve Estes yesterday.

8. jody526

jody526 New Member

Absolutely stunning, ziggy.

People often ask, "who's a good dealer?"
    Well, I've bought from Steve and Debbie, and I sure can't complain.

Hey Ed,

Mega cool coin display on the old pool table.
    Thanks for sharing!

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Gorgeous Bust Ziggy! You know that my dream collection as soon as I can afford it are Bust Halves. :D

10. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Ed,
    It's a nice feeling when you know that you are making progress. It's a very nice looking collection. Good Luck :)

11. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

I thought you'd appreciate it. :)

12. jimmiejam

jimmiejam New Member

Cool collection Ed. Very cool bust half. Love it.

13. rolltide

rolltide Member

My entire collection probably only values at around $600....and I take them all out and look at them about once every 2 weeks or so. And WOW...that collection is neat. Mine are thrown in a bucket and are inside ziplock baggies :p

14. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Wow! Neat...

And it's alot bigger than mine!

15. rick

rick Coin Collector

That is a nice looking collection, Ed. Good picture, too...

it might sound like a silly question, but do you mind telling me what you used to snap that shot?

16. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Simple...used an older Olympus digital (3.2 mp) camera. Turned on the pool light and used a flash.

For pics of individual coins, I use the same camera in a macro mode with two desk lights off at an angle and NO flash. Use a tri-pod and black cloth.

17. aem4162

aem4162 New Member

my collection can fit in a drawer or 2 in my dresser...it's always out

18. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

Very nice I too thought of doing this to show everyone my little collection... yours is way bigger and alot nicer than mine is at the moment.. it seems i need to get those Intercept shield cases... I love that they are square way easier storage... along with the 5 dollar boxes to put them in..

Great set by the way seems you have a bit of coins you sent in to get slabed :D Wish I had the money you do Ed

Mach

19. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

I can tell you...most of the slabs are moderns that I picked up over the years...and pennies to boot.

95% of the slabs I have were purchased at shows as most were picked up at costs BELOW what it would cost to send in a coin for grading at PCGS or NGC. I love those tables that have slabs for $5 to $10 each.

As for the money issue...it is due to eating Kraft Mac & Cheese and saving for a decent coin. I guess my priorities are whacked, but what the heck.

20. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

heck I eat kraft mac n cheese but i still cant afford a good coin :D

Mach

21. Art

Art Numismatist?

That's a nice collection and an interesting shot. I never thought of getting out my entire collection. It's a good project for a rainy afternoon.

I really like the Bust Half. It's a beaut.

Draft saved Draft deleted