Ever put a Lot number in as a Bid? I made a BIG mistake tonight

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Jul 24, 2014.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Ever put a Lot number in as a Bid? I made a BIG mistake tonight on an unnamed auction site. I buy ~$300 coins, but pasted in an auction lot number, and placed a $4000+ bid on a $2000 coin. OOPS!!!! :banghead:

The funny thing is, I caught it before I hit submit on a page of bids, and cleared the erroneous bid. Box was nice and clear. Then I submitted rest of bids and to my horror it took this cleared lot number! I wonder if it was cached or something? Anyway, it is some sort of site bug, and I cant be the only person who has ever been hit by it.

Well, I emailed them and told them please cancel. No way they are getting $4000+ out of me, I dont even have $400, LOL. :grumpy:

I still feel dumb. I'll let you know what ends up happening. I might be a few Kidneys short in the coming weeks.

spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mainer020648

mainer020648 Well-Known Member

I certainly hope this works out for you!

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hopefully they don't have your account/credit card info.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I realize you're half joking, but doesn't it seem silly to be bidding on a $2000 coin when you only have $400? :p

spirityoda likes this.
  6. geekpryde

Sadly I'm not really joking. I'm too damn poor for this hobby.

I had a spreadsheet of lots that I wanted to bid on, and was moving down the list and putting in bids and checking out coins, bouncing around and replying on CT, and generally having a good time. However, at one point I pasted a lot number into the wrong box, meaning, I was trying to jump to another lot from a page I was viewing a nice coin that I could never afford, instead of the LOT box I pasted into the bid box and hit enter. I then got the confirmation page, realized my error, cleared that one bid, and then submitted the other bid. And then I was like, ohhh snap, I guess my kids aren't eating for the next month.

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. geekpryde

Well, they know who I am, I've bought coins there before. They dont have a cc on file, or a bank, thank the lord. But I am fairly confident they will kill the bid, since there are still 10+ days left, and I clearly fat-fingered it. Also, I should be able to replicate the site bug, where you clear it on the confirmation screen and then it still takes the bid. If anything, I may have caught a major bug for them, maybe I'll get a reward?? :wacky:

8. geekpryde

Okay, so I just tested my theory, and I was easily able to replicated the BUG. I can show them tomorrow if they care to fix it. Its quite simple, if you clear a bid on the confirmation page and then submit other bids at the same time, all your bids will be recorded, including for the cleared [empty] lot for the value you formerly had in the box. Sort of an embarrassing bug IMHO, and a dangerous one!

9. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Maybe thats how they get you...

geekpryde likes this.
  10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Oh man that was close. Better watch yourself!

geekpryde likes this.
  11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I once added a digit on a bid at Great Collections. I sent them an e-mail immediately and they removed the bid. I was trying to bid $500 and added a zero. They were great about it.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sadly, I have had the opposite error. I once set up a snipe for a really terrific group of coins on Ebay. The group was worth $800-1000, and I was willing to to $480 and feel very happy at that price. The dealer started it at $.99, and in the snipe program I accidentally typed in $4.80 instead of $480. Of course, it went for about $130, but I consoled myself by saying, "I am sure that other bidder had a bid in for at least $500, so I didn't just hose myself out of a great group of coins. :(

fred13 and JPeace$ like this.
  13. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

That was you? I entered my bid of $450, and got it for only $130. Best day ever! ;)

Just kidding. The buyer probably had a higher bid like you suspect.

14. medoraman

He probably didn't, and I am just lying to myself, but it allowed me to sleep that night after a massive screwup.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

That must have been scary.

Once, thankfully only once, I put in a decimal point, and hit the 0 (zero) instead,.

I caught it just in time.

Phew

geekpryde likes this.
  16. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

If it's eBay you can cancel your bid within a reasonable time and not have to worry about writing the people about it. Very easy to do and does not reflect badly on you unless you do all the time.

17. medoraman

True, but considering the OP sai he put the lot number in on his bid, and he didn't bid 100 trillion dollars, I doubt it was Ebay. :)

geekpryde likes this.
  18. geekpryde

Yeah, Ian at GC is great. They cancelled a bid for me when I thought a coin was XXX but it was really YYY.

19. geekpryde

Ahh, brutal!

20. geekpryde

Yeah, not eBay.

UPDATE: I had to email twice but they are going to take care of it for me, and also are looking into my bug.

PHEW!

:joyful:

Ethan likes this.
  21. Amanda Varner

Amanda Varner Well-Known Member

Lucky you, Geek!

geekpryde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted