Ever Gone Crazy With Online Auctions ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldFinger1969, Nov 13, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Ever gone a bit nutso in an auction ?

I did....a few months ago, had some bids that were "stink bids" for relatively big $$$ (~ $500 each) but didn't think I would be within 25% of the final FMV. Then I bid on 1 or 2 items on HA and Ebay I really liked....saw similar items with slighly characteristics that I liked, and bid on those.

Net-net....ended up winning more than I thought.

OK....went a bit nuts....I thought the damage came to the $800's, maybe a bit over $900 with S&H, tax, etc.

$1,515 !!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm buying a few hundred a month in stuff monthly or every few months, because I want enough $$$ for FUN. That really crimped my FUN savings account.

I just wasn't paying attention. You get caught up in the bidding...went a big higher than I thought on 1 or 2 items...actually won 1 or 2 with "stink bids"...then in between I bid and won on things I really didn't NEED but LIKED.

Only good news is, I'm not the only one to go nuts: :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I've only done that once, but oh the adrenaline pump just wouldn't quit. Luckily, it was only one item and I really loved the eye appeal.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not with coins but I did it on Ubid once. I was looking for watches for four family members and ended up with eight total. I'll never run out of watches.

GoldFinger1969 and juris klavins like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When I was working a real job instead of trying to survive on Social Insecurity, I would be bidding on as many as 50 listings per week. I never placed "junk" bids. I fully expected to win every listing.

Chris

6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

If you got some good buys, you can just use them for trading stock at the FUN show.

green18, GoldFinger1969 and Endeavor like this.
  7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I've had multiple items with bids that I didn't think would win and a bunch of them end up winning. That has created a very unexpected spike in spending. Fortunately the funds available were able to cover, a couple times just barely.

8. GoldFinger1969

I didn't think of that. All of the coins or bills are graded. Thx !! :D

What I'd REALLY like to do is get rid of the 150-200 or so Silver Certificates and/or 1963 $1's or various Red $2's and $5's. Maybe 1/3rd are PMG 58-66 or so and 2/3rds are EF or lower.

9. GoldFinger1969

Do you mean a really low-ball bid like 50% of FMV (what I call a "stink bid") ? Or more where you are just hoping for a decent discount off FMV, like 15-20% ?

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That'll teach ya!! Lol

11. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I've done exactly that so I know how you feel!

Draft saved Draft deleted