Ever Go to a Local Auction to See One Coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Feb 5, 2016.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

That's what my Saturday morning looks like. Travelling about 20 miles each way to check out one Buffalo nickel that sounds like a nice condition match for my nicer set. It is described as an "XF" on the auction sheet and is a 1913D Type II. If you were me, would you make the trip? Not slabbed, raw.

coinzip likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Cost of fuel, time involved, risk of the coin being lower grade than stated. I wouldn't for a Buff.
    But, I've traveled 2k miles for the chance to get some other coins, so I guess it just depends how bad you want it!!!

Coin people......we're a very dedicated breed :)

4. I would do it but probably plan to bring or meet up with someone or do something else along the way. Gas is cheap...go for it. TC

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Me too! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Chris

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree. I have went to some local auctions for one coin, not like the one I came for, but got others instead. You never know, and if you have the time free I would go. What is the worst that can happen? You get to look at coins?

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Raw with a pic, and you are seeing XF, then yep, take the trip.
    Raw with NO pic, forget it unless you want to look around.
    And IMO a 40 mile round trip is minor.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I went to a coin show 60 miles away to hunt for one coin, an 1894 Morgan. Found it and bought it!

Stevearino and Cascade like this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

No kurt, we will not be talking you out of it. You know the answer already ;)

10. Kapimono

Kapimono Active Member

1893s Morgan, NGG AU50. Got to hold it, worth every one of the 80 miles round trip. :) I have no problems with driving and hour or so each way to hang out with coins, even if the plan isn't to buy.

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Done it many times. Went to one 10 years ago. Only coin in the auction was a 1806 bust half. Totally original vf. Paid $250. Pcgs called it 35 and cac liked it too

Kasia and Santinidollar like this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

20 miles?

no big deal.

go for it

Kasia likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

That's what has me hesitating a little. Of all my local auctioneers, and there are a boatload of them, this guy has a tendency to get a little, umm, optimistic on grades. Sometimes he's spot on, but this could be a "problem XF" with like a deep scratch on it. He gets kind of nasty when bids don't get to where he thought, instead of realizing the room is telling him he blew the grade.

There are enough earlier silver proof sets to check for cameos, so I'm going. The "stars of the show" for most guys are two series I'm just not that into - Morgans and bust halves. Guys with their 10x glasses and Overton books will be in abundance.

Either way, I'll report back here. Gotta get dressed for the auction. Have a great Saturday.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Stevearino and Kasia like this.
  14. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I live in the middle of nowhere... 10 miles to the closest fast food restaurant.

20 miles to look at a coin (to me) would seem like its next door... :)

Stevearino and Kasia like this.
  15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Get in your car and drive.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, I'm on site and the 13D-II Buffalo does have XF details, but the obverse is suspiciously porous from the 2 o'clock position around to the 7 o'clock. What do you guys think?

There's a 1960 proof set with a sweetheart cameo small date cent in it. I'm going to hang out and see who else noticed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

It's further then that for fast food. But there's several good restaurants within 10 miles. And a few pizza places and most variety stores have good sandwiches burgers pizza etc. welcome to Maine. Where there's as more good seafood places then McDonald's. And some really good coins turn up too

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I don't think so

19. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

It is not that far. Coin might be better than advertised and you could possibly get a good deal. Plus you get to see other coins and prices that people are paying. Enjoy your day.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

A lot of the bust halves are obviously cleaned. The owner clearly had a chemistry set. How do you feel about a BU 1865 3-cent nickel with massively rotated dies?

21. V. Kurt Bellman

I snagged the 1865 3-cent nickel with dies rotated about 100 degrees from normal. Solid MS-63. Got it for $85 hammer plus 10%.

Draft saved Draft deleted