Ever Forget You Had a Coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, May 3, 2020.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

And then purchased a duplicate?

licinius1.jpg

licinius2.jpg

In my case, I had the above coin from an uncleaned hoard. Not much to look at really. And my photo skills at the time left a lot to be desired! But I forgot I had it - and then purchased this one, which I photographed with the same phone (google pixel xl).

Rome

AE3, 318-319 AD. 19mm 3.1 grams

IMP LI-CINIVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right

ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated right, shield on lap inscribed X/V. P-R across fields.

Mintmark: RQ

Reference: RIC VII Rome 151; Cohen 150; Sear 15354.

licin1.jpg

licin2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yes! I forgot I had this ...

Hadrian P M TR P COS III Fortuna Denarius.jpg

... when I bought this:

Hadrian Fortuna Denarius duplicate.jpg

But the obverse inscription is broken on the second example and not on the first, so they aren't really duplicates, are they? ;)

4. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Almost. I believed I did not have a coin of Domitian and was on the long slow search for the one so I have been casually looking for quite some time. I looked through my coins not long ago trying to find a coin I wanted to take new pics of and found a coin of Domitian. I don't remember buying it.

5. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot this one:

1.jpg

and bought this one:

2.jpg

If it is not a die match, that is the reason to keep both, and if it is a a die match, the more so.

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I don't understand how your 2 coins shown in the original post are duplicates.

dougsmit likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

Good question. I suppose I should have clarified that I meant "duplicate ruler" not duplicate coin. The first one is a post-reform radiate and the 2nd is a reduced follis.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I kinda cheated. I quasi-forgot, but still pursued getting these.

They are a little more difficult to find, so I was comfortable capturing them when I ran across them. If I see another, I will probly grab it, too.

These are not the Quadrigatus that everyone are familiar with. These are the HALF-Quadrigatus, and the Quadriga faces LEFT.

ROMAN REPUBLIC - Pre-211 Reform

upload_2020-5-3_11-45-58.png
    RR Anon
    AR Heavy Quinarius / Half-Quadrigatus / Drachm
    216-214 BCE
    Janus
    ROMA Jupiter Victory Quadriga LEFT
    Cr 29-4 S 35

Saw this one at a Coin Show in Chicago, and snapped it up
    upload_2020-5-3_11-47-36.png
    RR Anon AR Heavy Quin Drachm Half Quadrigatus 225-212 BCE 3.1g 18mm Janus Jupiter in Quadriga L Victory ROMA Cr 28-4 S 35 SCARCE

9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ACH is after at least a coin from each emperor. So he already had a Licinius in his collection, a duplicate in his eyes.

Edit: he beat me to it lol

Inspector43 and Alegandron like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, yeah, I do the same. Going after all the Rulers that I can for the Grandkids. Too many "oops, already have that one!"

I am up to 151 of the Rulers.

Gallienus:
    RI Gallienus 253-268 CE Ant Milan mint Laetitia S -secunda.jpg
    RI Gallienus 253-268 CE Ant Milan mint Laetitia S -secunda

upload_2020-5-3_11-56-25.png
    RI Gallienus Silvered Æ Ant CE 263-264 AVG rad cuiras R Hercules R lion skin club star RIC 673

11. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

While it does have a radiate bust, it is a follis, in fact a half follis; which is indicated by the X over 12 and half on the reverse; which tariffed it a half of the normal follis (25 D.C.)

12. Inspector43

Sorry, I didn't understand your mission.

13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

These two are not the same exact coin-type, but -- given my general one-coin-per-emperor buying philosophy, plus the fact that the reverse designs are essentially identical -- I almost certainly would not have bought the first of these Domitians if I had remembered that I had already had the second one since back in the 1980s/early 1990s. Even though I'm actually happy I bought it, because it's a very much nicer coin, I probably would have bought one from a different emperor (or at least with a different reverse) instead.

Domitian (son of Vespasian) AR Denarius 88-89 AD. Obv. Laureate head right, IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TRP VIII/ Rev. Minerva advancing right w/javelin & shield, IMP XIX COS XIIII CENS PPP. RIC II-1 667 (2007 ed.), old RIC II 137 (1926 ed.), RSC II 252, BMCRE 151. 17.78 mm., 3.42 g. Ex Gorny & Mosch.

Domitian obverse 88-89 AD, RSC II 252.jpg

Domitian reverse 88-89 AD, RSC II 252.jpg

Domitian AR Denarius 91-92 AD. Obv. Laureate bust right, IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TRP XI/ Rev. Minerva advancing right w/javelin & shield, IMP XXI COS XVI CENS PPP. RIC II-1 728 (2007 ed.), old RIC II 166 (1926 ed.), RSC II 273. 19 mm., 3.3 g.

Obv. Domitian 91-92 AD RSC II .jpg

Rev. Domitian 91-92 AD RSC II 273.jpg

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, all of the time. Heck, I always wanted a large Iran coin with the lion and sword. A few months ago I was looking through a box and found four. I might remember 25% of what I own. Good thing is going through old piles or the sdb is like buying them all over again!

15. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

My problem is more that I know I already have three of one coin, but I just need one more to complete another set of something or other. Hence, how I now own three 1937 crowns, three 1935 crowns, etc.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have zero use for the concept of collecting one coin per ruler but have quite a few duplicates to the point of being from the same dies. This is quite on purpose. These two Julia Domna show the same exact die damage from a clashed die proving that such coins were made from damaged dies rather than individually as restruck brockages and some claimed. You need two to show that.
    rl5660bb1999.jpg rl5670bb2030.jpg
    Certainly I have duplicated some accidentally and have no desire to keep both. Many of that category were consigned to JAZ or AMCC and now belong to someone else. Others were given to people I thought would appreciate them even though they were not my finest coins.

17. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Yes, I've done the same thing. I attribute this behavior to my multiple personality.....

ominus1 and ancient coin hunter like this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

I break the rule sometimes - I have 3 Hadrians for example.

Roman Collector likes this.
  19. Inspector43

So far I have only bought uncleaned coins, clean them and see what I get. I am hesitant to buy uncleaned anymore because the coin hobby has changed so much. For every honest dealer out there you can find 3 or 4 dishonest ones. There is a link on here someplace regarding finding good sources.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

It seems like the sources of a few years back are drying up or just selling culls with a few OK pieces thrown in. The one I used to buy from when out of business.

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Inspector43

It is too bad. The coin in my avatar was found in a batch of uncleaned that I acquired more than 10 years ago. It was virtually blank - no details at all. You can see it turned out to be a very nice and desirable piece.

Marsyas Mike and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted