Ever buy duplicates on purpose?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by H8_modern, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

randygeki likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Haha thanks :D Not a million yet

feltemp.jpg

4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have bought a few duplicateson purpose. This is one.

First coin.

Septimius Severus denarius
    Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
    Rev:– MONE[T A]VG, Moneta seated left, holding scales and cornucopiae
    Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194 - 195
    References:– RIC -, RSC -

[​IMG]

The problem being that thhere is a big chunk of the reverse off flan so the reverse legend cannot be confirmed.....

without a double die match.....

[​IMG]

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Dups, you betcha! It is sometimes difficult to get the quality you are looking for, so in the meantime, you pick up a lesser one until you find your sleeping beauty:

Byzantine Empire: Leo VI the Wise (886-912) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1729)

Obv.: +LEON bASILEVS ROM; crowned bust facing with short beard, wearing chlamys, holding akakia.
    Rev.: +LEON / EN QEO bA / SILEVS R / OMEON

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Leo V the Armenian (813-820) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear-1636; DOC 17; Berk-887)

Obv: [Λ] - E/O Facing bust of Leo, with short beard, wearing crown and loros, and holding cross potent; in right field, star
    Rev: [K] - ONST Facing bust of Constantine, beardless, wearing crown and chlamys, and holding globus cruciger; C - I on either side of head

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Alexius III Angelus-Comnenus (1195-1203) BI Aspron Trachy Nomisma, Constantinople (Sear-2011; DOC 3a)

Obv: Beardless, nimbate bust of Christ, wearing tunic and kolobion; holds scroll in left hand. Pellet, or pellets, normally in each limb of nimbus cross. IC XC in field
    Rev: Full-length figure of Alexius on left and of St. Constantine nimbate, holding between them globus cruciger. Emperor and saint wear stemma, divitision, collar-piece, and jeweled loros of simplified type; both hold labarum-headed scepter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@H8_modern Nice coins. I think the two are enough different to justify having both. I try to avoid duplicates, but buy some by accident (mostly at coin shows). At times something about a coin speaks to me.
    Volt obv 1.JPG Volt rev 1.JPG Plumb Bob.JPG
    I have three Volteius denarii. The snake coins are neat. I bought #2 at a coin show when my list was not up to date. I bought #3 for the plumb bob symbol.

Piso.jpg Piso rev.jpg plumb bob on level.jpg
    I have several Piso coins. I bought this one for the symbol, a Roman level that used a weight like on I have. A similar coin was offered in an auction the next month. I did not bid on that coin.

LOT5241-98A (1).jpg LOT5241-98B (1).jpg
    The coin above sold at auction a few years ago. I will bid on the next one I see offered. I have seen a few sold in the past including one owned by @maridvnvm .

Attached Files:

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, many of my DUPES are "OOOPS!" But I still luv'em to death!

RR Fannius 123 BCE AR Den (2) X Quad Sear 150 Cr 275-1.jpg
    RR Fannius 123 BCE AR Den X Quad Sear 150 Cr 275-1.jpg
    RR Fannius 123 BCE AR Den (2) X Quad Sear 150 Cr 275-1

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have 80 fel temp reparatios with the fallen horsemen. Too many to post or photograph, some are big, some are small, some are poorly struck, some are not. It seems to be the number one coin type in the uncleaned hoards.

benhur767, maridvnvm and rrdenarius like this.
  9. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

I buy duplicates on purpose, but as others have pointed out, in ancient coins there are no true duplicates (except maybe modern counterfeits). There is always some difference of style, strike, or condition that is worth studying. In the case of the elephant denarius of Caracalla, there are several interesting die variations that warrant comparison. On the examples below, the die was cut at the end of 211 with the tribunicia potestas number XIIII, but had to be changed to XV because the coins weren't struck until early 212 (presumably). Different engravers had different solutions to the problem. For the coin on the left, the X and V were simply spaced out to fill the gap taken up by the longer XIIII. For the coin on the right, the engraver combined extra spacing with a dash (–) to "strike through" the remaining Is. While this has been read as an H, as in XVH, that would not have been the intent. The elephants on these two coins are also different; the one on the left thrusts its trunk into the gap between the two Ps in the legend, whereas the one on the right does not.

Caracalla_ElephantCoins.jpg

Coin on the Left: RIC 199, RSC 208
    Caracalla. AR denarius, Rome mint, struck 212 CE; 18mm, 3.40g. BMCRE 47, Hill 1312 (R4), RIC 199, RSC 208. Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT; head laureate right. Rx: P M TR P XV COS III P – P; Elephant walking right. Somewhat porous; EF.

References:
    • K. Elks, “Coins of Caracalla with Altered Dies,” NC 1973, pp. 222–3 and pl. 15.4 (die duplicate).
    • Spink & Son, Ltd., The Michael Kelly Collection of Roman Silver Coins (London, 18 November 1997), Auction 123, p. 47, lot 1230 (die duplicate).
    Coin on the Right: RIC 199, RSC 208
    Caracalla. AR denarius, Rome mint, struck 212 CE; 2.81g. BMCRE 47, Hill 1312 (R4), RIC 199, RSC 208. Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS – AVG BRIT; head laureate right. Rx: P M TR P XV H [sic] COS III P P; Elephant walking right. EF.

ex The Old Sable Collection

References:
    • K. Elks, “Coins of Caracalla with Altered Dies,” NC 1973, pp. 222–3 and pl. 15.1 (reverse die link).
    • B.A. Seaby, Ltd., The G.R. Arnold Collection of Silver Coins of the Severan Dynasty (London, 21 November 1984), pl. VI, no. 152 (reverse die link).

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Building on the excellent post by benhur767: You can even buy duplicates closer related than that. The two coins of Septimius Severus below were struck from the same die pair. Studying them will show the differences between things that were part of the die and things that were caused in striking and later (centering, double striking, wear, post mint damage etc.). Die duplicates are not scarce with rare coins. There are even some that were all made from a single die pair. It is very unlikely you will find a die match for a very common type that was made from a thousand different dies.

Look at these two coins and see letter spacing, a die crack and style elements that match. I thought once I didn't want both of these so I tried to sell the lesser one. I failed, thank you. I would miss it.
    rg1230bb0571.jpg rg1240fd1035.jpg

11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Here are some Vespasians that are the same but different ;)

VESPASIANS.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted