Ever buy a coin you didn't like, just because it's part of a complete set?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hommer, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

No, I have never bought a coin I did not like. I have been collecting coins since I was 8 yrs old. I find coins are like doughnuts, I have yet to find a coin that I don't like. The design may not be to my liking, but I am drawn to coins no matter how unappealing they may seem. I am admitting to being a numismatic addict. I still have coins in my collection that look like 10 miles of country road. I love each and every one of them. I have favorites, but if it is a coin it has a place in my heart and collection.

samclemens3991 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No, I only collect coins I like. That's why I don't collect commemorative's, too many designs I don't care for.

5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No, that's the reason that my US type set will never be complete...I refuse to buy either a Morgan dollar or Lincoln cent.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

you don't like Morgan's too?
    I have a couple given to me, I can't see collecting any though.
    I like the Peace, and then the years before it, just not the Morgans.

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

If one is not at least a little choosy in this hobby, one will go bankrupt quickly.

So, no, I really try not to buy coins that I don't like. Although meandering tastes and preferences can really complicate things. One year I'm into large cents, the next year I'm into Greenlandic issues. The next it's duck-themed tokens, and so on. Often coins I like upon purchase turn into coins I don't like a few years later. Impulse and compulsion can mislead and inspire purchases that one regrets later. That's one thing I don't like about coin shows. You have only a few hours to decide to buy something - so you either walk out with it or you don't and the item may then disappear forever. In such cases I almost always talk myself out of buying whatever I'm yearning for on the bourse floor. Experience has taught me that I frequently bemoan those "I'd better buy it or else" snap decisions.

Robert Paul likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Truer words never spoken.

I've never bought a coin I don't like, because "like" is my only important criteria for purchasing. I don't pursue sets.

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Crazy idea, but I'll throw it out anyway — why not just stick to buying coins you like?

Coinchemistry 2012 and SuperDave like this.
  10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

But what about the registry set hype? Where's the prestige?

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Who cares? :)

Hommer likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm not in this hobby for prestige. If it ain't fun, I'll get out.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I did a couple times for a type set. 3 cent nickels, Lincolns, Merc Dimes and a couple others I just didn't care about. Then I stopped caring about completing the type set and I just buy what I like now regardless of what it is

14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Nope. I always purchase a grade I'm content with. If it's slightly not where I want the grade to be, but it's at a great price, I'll get it to temporarily fill the void. Then upgrade later.

But, I don't really collect sets... the only type set I'd collect are probably the WWII war nickels.

15. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

No. For my collection, I define what a set is. The Red Book, other price guides, coin albums, etc., do not matter in what I define as a set. If I don't like it, I don't buy it.

Maxfli and Santinidollar like this.
  16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

No, but I've looked at a lot of ugly coins before I've finally bought one that I like. Latest example of this is a MS64 Sesquicentennial half. I anticipate spending a long, long time looking for a suitable Monroe half.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That's funny as I too want a Monroe half, they are hard to find with the details I want....what else I like the art deco eagle and anything art deco. What I don't like is the portrait on the Monroe or the Bridgeport . In fact if I purchased either I have them graded reverse out instead of obv.

Paul M. and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  18. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It might be helpful to look at old ANACS holders. Often you can find nicely toned pieces that are undergraded by today's standards that make them much more affordable.

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Every show I attended old holders are scouted out before anything else is even consider ;)

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It isn't 1994 anymore

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This idea, of having to buy something because of what others consider a set, is what drove me from US collecting. If I bought a coin I liked all anyone could talk about was how hard the "keys" would be, etc etc.

Its MY hobby, MY money, MY enjoyment. US collectors preoccupation with what others say is a set and the supposed "keys" really turned me off to US collecting.

Maxfli and Hommer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted