Euros, who collects them?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Sep 28, 2017.

?

Do you collect Euros?

1. Not at all

37.8%
  2. Only for spending

10.8%
  3. Only from countries I've been to

5.4%
  4. Only mint state series by Country

18.9%
  5. Only mint state series by Year

2.7%
  6. I'm trying to get one of everything!

24.3%
  1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

With the financial differences between the richer and poorer nations of the EU, does anyone see the Euro becoming a monetary unit of the past, or at least greatly diminished in the number of using countries?

Stuart Williams and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Who knows. See, that is precisely the reason why I usually do not discuss the euro in forums like this. Seems to be hard for people outside the euro area to "talk coins" and not "talk politics" when it comes to our currency union.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don' see that as being in any way politic. Economic perhaps, but economics and coins are closely related.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. TheFinn

No agenda, just asking an opinion from people living there. We don't get all of the news here in the US since most people here probably don't know what EU stands for.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Those who for whichever reason are against the common currency have been saying for almost 20 years (the euro was "born" in 1999) that the whole thing is doomed. Well, it is still around, and from originally 11 member states it has grown to 19 (plus 4 countries that are not EU members but issue euro coins). No euro country has left or has plans to leave; keep in mind that the UK which is about to get out of the EU has never been part of the currency union anyway.

Of course some member states of the European Union do not have the euro. Has been like that since day 1, and is unlikely to change - some EU countries have no intention to join, others do not meet the criteria. The good old saying applies: predictions are tough especially when it comes to the future. ;) So do you actually collect euro coins?

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. TheFinn

That is interesting, that a country needs not be a part of the EU to issue Euros. Very similar to the old Latin Monetary Union - counteie not official members, but issued coins folling the prescribed weights and finenesses. Are these non-Euro Euros accepted in commerce by official countries?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, of course. :) Those four (Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican) have monetary agreements with the European Union which are the legal framework so to say. In the pre-euro years, Monaco had a similar agreement with France, and San Marino and the Vatican had one with Italy. Here is the text of the agreement with Andorra; the other three are similar ...

However, see post #5 here - collector coins (usually silver and gold) of any euro country are legal tender in the issuing member state only. And even there they do not circulate.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I collect each year and denomination from all issuing countries. I have at least 100 euro coins, also have the Euro Dansco albums.

Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool!!

11. naomi01225

naomi01225 New Member

i got more euro
    especial l y first 12 countries in full set in unc with ablum
    got more if someone like i can do cheap

12. FinnCoin

FinnCoin New Member

Just some trivia for everyone. By the end of 2017 there are 367 different 2 € commemorative coins published by EU member states and 4 earlier mentioned small non-member states. Believe it or not, I have counted them... The first 2 € commemorative coin was struck on 2004 by Greece to celebrate Athens olympics. Nowadays every euro country can publish them 2 a year.

Commemorative coins are very interesting as they typically celebrate some significant historical events. Most expensive one is 2007 Grace Kelly commemorative coin from Monaco...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

... and there may even be more in cases when the euro area issues a common commem (Treaty of Rome 2007, Currency Union 2009, Euro Cash 2012, European Flag 2015). Then that "two per year" threshold goes up to three. Unfortunately those pieces cannot be issued by the euro area as a whole, so (not taking different mint marks into account) you end up with 19 basically identical designs. Gets pricy. :rolleyes:

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. FinnCoin

FinnCoin New Member

Yes actually total count (367) I mentioned contains the four common commemoratives. And you are right 3 per year per country is possible in that case. I count them as separate ones as they come from different countries and have issuer country printed on them. Also German strikes coins in 5 different locations, with letter A,D,F,G and J, and I counted them as separate ones also. It is a matter of opinion....

Athens commemorative on 2004 was quite nice with Myron throwing disc: comm_2004_Gr.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Cristian-Aprilia

Cristian-Aprilia New Member

I obviously answered that I collect everything, being my main collection, to date have been issued about 420 coins of 2 euro commemorative, and 2019 should close with about 450. It becomes increasingly hard to stay behind, but the passion there pushes this and beyond!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

I hear that frustration. I was all about collecting the commemoratives until the cost to keep them all just kept going up.

17. Cristian-Aprilia

Cristian-Aprilia New Member

@Seattlite86
    until you collect in state of mint the expenditure is quite sustainable, but for those who collect the coincard and proof we now approached about 1000 euros a year, too many!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Seattlite86

450x 2 euros is still 900€, regardless of the mint state of the coin. I don't personally see that as sustainable, but if you do, then I admire your hobby budget :)

19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I started acquiring the low face value coins to look for varieties.
    Yes, there are varieties.
    I've got a book that lists them.
    And I was after only the older coins (2002-2007).
    And by low face values I mean the 1¢, 2¢, 5¢ & 10¢.
    I was trying to buy in bulk at just above face value but now sellers, at least on eBay, want well above face.
    So my effort is not even on the back burner.

20. Seattlite86

Any specific varieties you think I should look out for or save for you? I go through thousands and thousands of all denominations every few months. Have you seen anything discussing the Germany 2002-J 2€ coin by chance?

21. I live in Ireland and don't know anyone who collects Euro coins. But the potential to collect them must surely be there? Every country in the Eurozone issues their own Euro coins with different reverse designs. Most of those countries have already issued commemorative coins, including Ireland.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted