Euros, who collects them?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Sep 28, 2017.

?

Do you collect Euros?

1. Not at all

37.8%
  2. Only for spending

10.8%
  3. Only from countries I've been to

5.4%
  4. Only mint state series by Country

18.9%
  5. Only mint state series by Year

2.7%
  6. I'm trying to get one of everything!

24.3%
  1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Yep, it was really that abrupt.
    But everyone knew it was coming so the shop keepers had their calculators handy.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I don't really collect collect them, but have to confess having a quick look at every 2 euro coin being given in change, just in case it's a commem and keep it. Got a 100+ so far and a big bunch of duplicates

Yes the change has been operated overnight but as said above everyone would have a calculator in their pocket (no smartphone at that time) and prices were displayed in both "languages" for some time

Q

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Which country are you collecting out of, if you don't mind me asking?

5. Cucumbor

Every country issuing them.

I live in France and the more often what we have as change is french, of course, and german, italian and belgian. Others are accasionnal. I've got some through swaps though (at Numista) and having loads of duplicates makes it easy.

In 2004 when the first commems were issued I even bought the Vatican city and San Marino ones but gave up shortly thereafter because of the mass production of commems every country was flooding the world with.

Now I only keep the ones I find in my change.

Your question made me go and check and I have 111 different ones : Normal issue by type + commems)

Q

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just found the 2 coins I detected. Now I have a picture of the Obverse sides. The 50 Cent is RF. The 10 Cent I am not to sure about. Help me with that one.
    OOPS. I posted the 10 Cent upside down :facepalm::sorry:
    20170930_204743~2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Seattlite86
    I had all of these when I visited Barcelona... I wonder if Catalonia would become its own country how their coins would look like?
    Spain_coins.jpg

8. Cucumbor

The 10c is german, featuring the Brandenburg's door in Berlin

[​IMG]

Q

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Seattlite86

I have a friend living in Barcelona, I saw 337 or so hurt today during the referendum. It will be interesting to see what happens.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

That's a decent number. I'll have a better count in a month when I have the house to myself for a couple days. I'm in the area of Tübingen, Germany. I'm collecting one of everything but thinking I might dump the collection when I leave (or sell it maybe for a profit) as I'm not sure I'll want to continue chasing it down the road.

Cucumbor likes this.
  11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Of course not. The euro was "born" on 1 January 1999, and on that day the pre-euro currencies became non-decimal sub-units :) of the new currency, with fixed rates. In the first three years, euro payments could be used with non-cash transactions only. The idea was that businesses (and others) would need and use the time for the changeover.

Turned out that was way too long - many would simply not care for about two years and eleven months. ;) In mid-December 2001 people could get the first euro and cent coins. And at the end of February 2002 the pre-euro cash ceased to circulate.

Later euro changeovers were much faster, partly because the currency was already known and "tangible", partly because even those two months at the end were not really needed ...

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In early 2014, somebody came up with these "Catalan Euro" designs. Of course they were just fantasy issues, nothing official:

cateur.jpg

Some background info ...
    https://www.thelocal.es/20140217/fake-catalan-euros-defy-eu-law
    ... about these and other designs:
    https://www.facebook.com/monedesrepublica

Problem is that according to the ruling opinion among legal experts, a region that leaves an EU member state, and becomes independent, would not automatically continue to be in the European Union. So the images above suggest something that is not going to happen.

Christian

13. Oxford Punter

Oxford Punter Active Member

My eight and eleven year-old boys and I have been working on a “one coin from every country” collection. This includes all coinage changes. Because of that, we have been trying to find a one or two euro coin from each country. I think the only one we are missing is a Vatican example.

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and [missing] Vatican City. Is that a complete list?

It may make some people cringe, but we have also ventured out into “coins” listed in “Krause’s Unusual World Coins” book. Hey, it amuses us, and two of the three of us are under twelve… There are many “unofficial” euro sets from such places as Saint Helena, Aruba, and Serbia. Definitely unusual, fantasy material.

If anyone could help us out with a one or two euro Vatican coin, or an example of any of the unusual fantasy issues, please let me know.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Wait, I thought the whole idea behind Scotland was that they'd retain membership?

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes. Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican are not euro area member states but issue euro coins due to monetary agreements with the EU. These four tend to have low issue volumes ...

Christian

Seattlite86 and Oxford Punter like this.
  16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess that idea is about as vague as the Brexit roadmap. ;) From what I have read, a territory that is currently part of a European Union member state, and plans to become independent, would not be an EU member any more. Then again, Scotland is different from Catalonia in that Spain has no intention to leave the EU. So a Scottish government will argue that "we simply want to stay in the European Union" - in the case of Spain, both "Madrid" and "Barcelona" want to stay ...

Another issue (and I am trying to explain this without getting into a political debate) is that, provided "Edinburgh" actually wants Scottish independence, "London" might be willing to agree to some consensual deal. Now if Catalonia started the accession negotiations with the EU, that could a fast process, but at the end, all member states would have to agree. All - that includes Spain.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

Thanks, that makes sense. It's hard to have a discussion involving politics without getting political. I think we are both trying to stay as neutral as possible. I'm curious how this will all play out. Are you going to the show in Frankfurt in November by the way? I'll be there Saturday for sure.

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Won't make it to the Numismata (4-5 Nov), I'm afraid. I will visit the Mint (IPZS) Museum, and also the National Museum's coin cabinet, in Rome soon - and even more numismatic trips in the near future would be frowned upon by parts of the family. ;) Hope you will see, and maybe buy, interesting pieces in Frankfurt!

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. evca

evca Member

Belgiums Euro coins seem to be riddled with errors. I recently found this :)

Attached Files:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure how many error pieces they produce. But some of the mint's €2 commems are not that well made; Austria and Finland for example do a nicer job, I think. Well, the Brussels mint is about to be closed (at the end of this year) anyway ...

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Strange how I never thought of collecting Euros until I read this thread. Guess I need to expand my horizons.:cool:

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted