Euros, who collects them?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Sep 28, 2017.

?

Do you collect Euros?

1. Not at all

37.8%
  2. Only for spending

10.8%
  3. Only from countries I've been to

5.4%
  4. Only mint state series by Country

18.9%
  5. Only mint state series by Year

2.7%
  6. I'm trying to get one of everything!

24.3%
  1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Since I'm living in Germany now, I'm just trying to get a sense of how many people actually collect the Euro series.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I get them when tourists drop them here in NYC, when I go metal detecting and a few I got from the time I went to Spain.
    Here are 2 I found detecting last Saturday
    I believe one of them is from France. 20170923_193525~2.jpg

Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Very cool. My metal detector is quite cheap, but I'm hoping to get out into the Schwarzwald and do some detecting one of these days.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I collect some. There's no plan to it though, it's just whatever I like.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Keep in mind that in the state of BW (where the Black Forest is) it will be tough to get a license ...

Anyway, yes, of course I collect euro coins. :D That is what I have in my hands every day - and while I tend to stay away from the collector coins these days (usually silver or gold, legal tender in the issuing member state only), I am quite interested in the circulation pieces and the €2 commems.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

I have a lot of them from all the tourists/workers coming here. I keep all I find. Not a Euro collector per say. But I do like them and find all the different designs interesting. Here is one of my Favorites so far. 1999 50 euro coin 2-horz.jpg

Seattlite86, RAGNAROK and chrisild like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, the reverse with the map is the same for each member state, so we cannot tell from the image where those pieces are from. :) All I know is that the map is the old (pre 2007/2008) version. A French 10 and 50 cent coin has a modernized Semeuse/Sower and the French flag on the obverse ...

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I only had this picture in my Cellphone. The 2 coins are at my moms apartment. I have my detecting equipment there. You see I got married and moved away from there. I will check this weekend :wacky:

Seattlite86 and chrisild like this.
  10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I have an almost complete set of German silver euro coins from 2001 to 2010. After that my source ended and I only have a few after that. I have yet to find a good source to catch up the series.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I was trying to collect the low face value coins (1¢, 2¢ and 5¢) by from 2002 to 2010 by country and variety.
    I would buy them in bulk and search for the varieties.
    But other stuff got in the way and my unsearched coins are just stocked away.
    And eBay sellers are asking too much, even in bulk.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm in the "only from countries I've been to" camp.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

If you message me privately, I can try to help you out, if you're looking to keep collecting it. No promises, but I speak German and can ship to US through US post.

sakata likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Message me what all you're missing and I'll keep an eye out. I sift through thousands of low face value 1, 2 and 5 cent coins on a regular basis, or at least as regularly as I'd like. I'm sifting through some 5 cent coins as we speak.

15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have a decent amount from various countries. When I was in Germany I tried to get as many different reverses as possible. I won't be going back to Europe any time soon so that is on hold. But I like all the different reverses.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

They're sure fun to collect.
    For the record, I've found two die cracks on the 2004 Belgium 5 Cent coins. I'm going to start paying more attention to that country and date to see if I can find more.

17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks. That's very good of you. I will see what I am missing and send you a PM in a couple of days.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

A friend of mine was in Europe when the Euro first came out. He knew I was a coin collector and got me one from each country that was in the program at that time. Never done any more or less since then. OLD COIN DAWG barking again. LYA

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My wife and I were in Austria when they swapped over.
    One day it was schillings; the next it was Euros.
    I believe that was 1 Jan 2002.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Was it really such an abrupt change? I remember when Britain switched to decimalization in 1971. For several months before and after you could see prices in both systems.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

One reason for a fast change is to catch the bad guys with their money pants down.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted