European Gold of the 1800's

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Andy, Oct 30, 2004.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Now you see there's a coin design i never liked.

Just doesn't look Royal enough. I forget who was in power in 1848. Definately not Charles X.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ageka

ageka New Member

The coin was designed by Augustin Dupré who won a competition in 1791 and royalty was out and the first republic in ( I think ; because they are now on their fitht republic and I sometimes loose count )

Two years earlier, in July 1791, one of the many acts to follow the end of the ancien régime, was the holding of an open competition by the French National Assembly for the post of engraver-general to the mint

http://frenchcoins.tripod.com/Dupre.htm

http://www.napoleonicmedals.org/coins/fran91-1.htm

4. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

You right ageka, France is on their fifth republic since the consitution of 1959. Interesting enough they started their fourth republic in 1947 the same year that modern day India and Israel came into being nation states. Once again GD graced us with a sample of his collection. One of these days I am expecting to see a king John in Armour from 1350 or maybe Ian has that "franc a cheval" or freedom coin. Anyway GD your first year angel is the only 1848 angel I have ever seen posted by a collector or dealer. I never even saw one minted from 1849 but it is funny how everyone seems to have a angel from 1871 to 1898. I like your coin but I always felt funny about looking at a naked man with wings and his cock,(rooster that is). I think I have one too but it might be in my closet but don't tell my wife :)

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You mean this one ? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah - I've never seen another myself. One of these days though, I'm gonna find that 1849 angel ;)

6. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Yeah thats the coin. Now the question is when are you going to have that one as well. Or do you already?
    Sometimes I think GD's pocket change is better then my collection. :)

7. GDJMSP

I have been the proud owner of that particular coin for quite a while now - NGC MS64 - finest known extant :D

8. ageka

ageka New Member

I liked the lucky angel so much I even have this Génie writing the bill of rights

Attached Files:

9. GDJMSP

Draft saved Draft deleted