Euro coin rarity question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Is anyone out there aware of particular circulating euro coins that are rarer or in higher demand than others? Are there any errors that are known? I figured since I use them daily, I should know what to be looking for.

Thank you for your input!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. onecenter

onecenter Member

The most likely candidates are Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City. Countries with smaller populations like Luxembourg and Ireland issue fewer coins than Germany, France, Italy and Spain do, in most cases. I found Greek, Slovakian and Slovenian euro coinage sets to be expensive. Maltese and Cypriot sets, on occasion, are also a bit pricey. Monaco is subject to extreme speculation.

What is less known by some collectors is that many euro coins are issued in circulation quantities only sporadically or as commerce needs them.

Nonetheless, every year, faithfully, all the nations that have the euro as their monetary unit issue collector sets. Germany, having five mints, issues five separate sets.

In addition, their are TONS of euro-denominated commemoratives, the great majority in precious metal. Two-euro coins are the preferred denomination for circulating commemoratives.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

I appreciate the feedback. I have a bunch of 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 Euro cents and I'm trying to decide if I just want to take them to the bank or if it's worth sorting them through to find a few harder to get ones.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Can you exchange foreign coins at a bank?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Yes. But I live in Germany (presently) so my bank will take them and give me euro bills. I'm trying to decide if sorting them is worth the effort or if I should just send them in.

7. Seattlite86

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted