Euro coin checklist

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bdunnse, Oct 1, 2013.

1. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I am looking for a "complete" checklist of all the euro coins. So far the best one I have found is located at the website...

www.euro-auflagen.de/index.php?lang=en (for the english version)

I was wondering if there is a better list, or if you think that this one is complete.

My main purpose is to have a list of the coins that are in circulation, not necessarily the ones minted for collectors, proofs, or commemeratives.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As complete as it gets, yes. :) Of course some of the info is preliminary only, and may be updated later, but Henning's site is an excellent source. (He is also an active member of a German language coin forum.) His list is private, not an "official" one, but it provides all the info that one would otherwise have to gather from various country-specific sources.

By the way, if you are not interested in BU/proof sets, the "no sets" mode will be better: http://www.euro-auflagen.de/index.php?lang=en&mode=nokms

Another option is printed catalogs such as the Schön, but that will be beyond what you want, I suppose. By the way, in EU legalese, "commemorative" coins are €2 pieces that may very well be found in circulation. The ones made especially for collectors are, you guessed it, "collector coins", and those are legal tender in the issuing member state only. The regular circulation coins and the €2 commems are legal tender anywhere in the currency union.

Christian

4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Wow, thanks for the prompt and thourough reply. A great and concise checklist.

Just to clarify your comments a bit further though...

So the coins under the headers"2 Euro CC" and "2 Euro CC2" are what you are refering to here as "commemorative"?

And the coins under headers "Folder ..." and "Proof" are what you are refering to here as "collector coins"?

5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Thanks for the resource!

I see that those early VATICAN coins are something rare!

6. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, each euro area member state (and the countries that are not European Union members but have monetary agreements with the EU) can issue commemorative €2 coins. Used to be one per country and year, now it's two.

These commemorative coins have the same reverse (map, face value) as the regular pieces but a theme specific obverse. Like the regular circulation coins, they are legal tender in the entire euro area. Whether you want to collect them too or not ... well, some of them have low mintages and can hardly (or not) be obtained at face, others have issue volumes of, say, 10 to 30 million and do make it into people's wallets or pockets. :)

No, those folders are annual sets, in BU and/or Proof, which usually contain the eight circulation coin denominations: 0.01 - 0.02 - 0.05 - 0.10 - 0.20 - 0.50 - 1.00 - 2.00. Collector coins, in the EU legal sense, are pieces with denominations that differ from these, pieces that are often silver or gold, and usually (but not always) surcharged. Just like a US silver dollar with a face value of $1 which costs $50 or so ...

Those euro collector coins are legal tender in the issuing member state only. So when Austria issues a €5 or €10 piece, that is "worthless" (as means of payment) in the other euro countries. Then again, hardly anybody uses those at stores anyway. :rolleyes:

Images of the commemorative €2 coins can also be found here: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/cash/commemorative/index_en.htm (list below the map). In the menu bar on the left, you can also choose "Common sides" or "National sides" to see the designs (but no mintage info) of the euro circulation coins. As from 1 January, Andorra (monetary agreement) and Latvia (member state) will also issue euro coins.

Christian

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Again, thanks for the info!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted