Eugenius - Usurpers

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Egry, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@El Cazador what’s your first one, Carausius? Very nice collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

Yes, first one is Carausius:) and thanks for the kind words

I also have Vabalathus, Delmatius & Macrianus

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Some more Usurpers:

MACRIANUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Macrianus 260-261 CE Usurper AR 22mm 4.4g BI Ant Spes Publica star Sear 3.10811. RIC 13 pg 581 R2 Rare

QUIETUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Quietus usurper 260-261 CE Ant 3-74g Samasota mint Indulgentia patera scepter RIC V 5

GALLIC EMPIRE
    - POSTUMUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Oriens Ex: @TIF

- MARIUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Marius 269 Gallic Usurper BI Ant CONCORD MILIT Clasped Hands

- VICTORINUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Victorinus 269-270 CE BI Ant Gallic Empire Salus

- TETRICUS I
    [​IMG]

RI Tetricus I 271-274 CE Ant LAETITIA

- TETRICUS II
    [​IMG]
    RI Tetricus II 273-274 CE BI Ant SPES w Flower

ALLECTUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Allectus 293-296 CE AE Ant PAX

CARAUSIUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Carausius usurper in Britain CE 287–293 BI Ant 4.7g 24mm London radiate cuirassed - PAX AVG Pax stndg l branch scepter S—P RIC V 475

5. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@Alegandron solid Usurper collection. I have most but not all of what you have shared (I need to take pictures). I’m very jealous of your Laelianus.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Thank you, @Egry
    It was a collection that just fell together, that I had not intended to chase.

PROCOPIUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Procopius 365-366 AE3

POEMENIUS:

[​IMG]
    RI Poemenius in name of Constantius II summer 353 Trier XP RIC VIII Trier 332 RARE
    (mixes bust of Constantius II with Chi Rho of Magnentius - enemy of CII)
    Ex: @seth77

Perhaps, these should count as he stopped the Julio-Claudians, and enabled Galba to come forward...

VINDEX

[​IMG]
    RI
    Civil War Revolt of Vindex
    CE 68-69 AR Denarius
    ROMA RESTITVTA -
    IVPITER LIBERATOR Jupiter seated r Tbolt Scepter
    17mm 3.02g
    RIC I 62 RSC 374-RARE

[​IMG]
    Roman Principate
    Civil War
    VINDEX 68-69 CE
    AR Denarius 3.22g
    Gallic mint
    SALVS GENERIS HVMANI Victory l globe -
    SPQR in wreath RIC 72 BMCRE 34-36 RSC 420
    RARE

7. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

Great coins of usurpers shown in this thread. Here is mine.

Eugenius.jpg

Eugenius, Siliqua, 1.76g, Trier, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right, D N EVGENI-VS P F AVG, rev. VIRTVS RO-MANORVM, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear, TRPS in ex.

The coin comes from a Gussage All Saints hoard. Here is the little backstory, courtesy of Spink and Antiqua Inc:

The coins known as the Gussage All Saints Hoard were found on March 21, 2010 on ploughed land in the parish of Gussage All Saints, Dorset in England. The hoard was contained in a small earthenware flagon which was lifted and the taken to the British Museum in London where the coins were then removed and conserved. The hoard comprised 653 Siliquae and nine Miliarenses.

Curiously the Miliarenses were found at the top, in the neck of the flagon, which suggest careful packing of the coins into the pot at the time of concealment. The earliest coins were issues of Constantius II, struck 355-61 and the latest issue of Arcadius and Honorius from the Milan mint struck c.395-402. In addition to coins of these emperors, Julian II (as Caesar and Augustus), Jovian, Valentinian I, Valens, Gratian, Valentinian II, Theodosius I, Magnus Maximus, Flavius Victor and Eugenius were all represented. It was noted that Late Roman silver coins were of a high silver content (over 90%), well above the requirements of the Treasure Act. Thus, they constituted a prima facie case of treasure by being silver coins of an antiquity of greater than 300 years and of one find of more than 10 pieces.

The coins had been in circulation together before their deposition in the early 5th Century A.D. Thus, the hoard dates from the period when the Western Roman Empire, beset with the collapse of the Rhine frontier and invasions in Gaul and Italy, relinquished its authority over Roman Britain which was left to it own devices and increasingly vulnerable to Germanic and Irish raiding.

The British Museum purchased one coin. The rest of the coins were returned to the finder and thereafter brought to market in London.

8. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Nice siliqua of Eugenius. I have one AE from Aquileia:
    image.jpg

9. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

A nice one - congratulations! Here are two of mine:
    Siliqua, Lyons, 393. 2.45 gr. 18 mm. Hr.12. RIC IX, 46.
    46001.jpg
    And a small bronze: Aquileia, 393-4. 0.77 gr. 14 mm. Hr.6. RIC IX, 59.
    Eug06 MB.jpg
    And my favorite usurper, Laelianus. Antoninianus, Cologne, 269. 3.01 gr. 21 mm. Hr. 1. RIC V, 8. Why my favorite? Because I bought it in 1966, in a dimly lit coin/army surplus store. Set me back $1.75. I keep the flip it came in!
    thumbnail_Laelianus.jpg

10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

:happy::happy::happy::singing:;)

11. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@Voulgaroktonou “Because I bought it in 1966, in a dimly lit coin/army surplus store. Set me back $1.75. I keep the flip it came in!”

Those kind of finds are always the best! The only find I’ve had that could compare somewhat similar but not really, was (not an ancient) a red uncirculated 1797 British Cartwheel Pence (28.3g), found it on eBay listed incorrectly, picked it up for $75 but really worth around $1,000. Finds like that make the hobby even more satisfying.

12. Voulgaroktonou

Wow! Congratulations - that's quite a score!

Egry likes this.
  13. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I’d trade for your Laelianus though any day.

14. Voulgaroktonou

I retain such fond memories of that shop. I think I was the owner's only ancient coin customer. I'd go in, buy 10 or so ancients for as many dollars, and if I was really acquisitive, I'd also pick up a bayonet or helmet as well.

Egry and Alegandron like this.
  15. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of reviving this old thread...

My latest Usurper purchase has arrived today. I feel like I over paid a bit for this one but the auction results lately seem to leave no choice other than getting out of your comfort zone or packing up your toys and going home.

Julian I of Pannonia.PNG

Julian I of Pannonia BI Antoninianus. Siscia, circa AD 283-285.

It actually looks a lot better in hand than the auction photo, the high definition image seems to highlight some rather undelicate cleaning. Regardless I'm proud to add it to my collection.

This is the first time I've seen a Julian of Pannonia for sale, with my luck there will be one at every auction going forward.

16. Alegandron

Nice! One I would like to have.

Egry likes this.
  17. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

From memory you do have a great Laelianus, one on the list. Possibly would be even more rare than Julian I. If you have time please post it again.

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Thank you. Here is mine.

LAELIANUS
    [​IMG]
    RI Laelianus CE 269 AE Ant 19mm 3.4g Moguntiacum mint Radiate cuirassed Victory RIC Vb 9 p373 black

Draft saved Draft deleted