Eucratides close up!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DBDc80, Jan 20, 2020.

1. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

So....recently got a new phone and am practicing taking coin pics. I've had this one since last year....so not a new acquisition. I posted this coin upon winning it in Roma's e-sale last May. However, when i shot these photos tonight...i just had to share.

Eucratides reigned the Bactrian Kingdom from approximately 170-145 B.C. Eucratides created his own dynasty by casting out the Euthydemid Dynasty...thus setting his person (and heirs) upon the Bactrian throne. Like his contemporaries, the Parthians, the Bactrian kings suffer from their reigns and accompishments being relatively lost to history. It is because of coins such as this, that we can glean things from their reigns, as well as the lines of succession....which, otherwise, may have been lost to history. It has been speculated, however, that the reign of Eucratides was of some degree of consequence, for there are several types of his silver portrait coins. The coins, hefty, and almost medallic in nature, are considered by some to be some of the most beautiful remnants of the Hellenistic Era (who am i to disagree). In spite of his attempt to secure a firm lineage in Bactria, Eucratides was killed by a seemingly unappreciative son, Eucratides II, or perhaps by his other son, Heliocles I. Upon his death, it is said that his body was dragged upon the street by his own chariot....but like many things from times so long ago, we may never know....feel free to post your Bactrians everyone!

Eucratides the Great
    AR Tetradrachm ca. 170-145 B.C.
    24mm 16.56gm
    Ex. Roma e-sale 56
    May, 2019 20200120_214950.jpg 20200120_215026.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Excellent images!!!!!

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very nice! Cropping and joining will make the images easier to appreciate.

CT-DBD-cropped.jpg

5. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Thank you for the advice, Tif. You just did a wonder with the pics! The camera on this phone is amazing....lol!

6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Very nice! I have the same portrait type of Eukratides I, but on an obol:
    Bactria Eukratides I obol.jpg

Ryro, Alegandron, Pellinore and 10 others like this.
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great coin, I especially like the obverse

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin. Here's one of mine.

euc.jpg
    Just kidding.

Seriously though Eucratides commanded the service of a talented die-cutter, to be sure.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..very nice pic of a very nice coin...on my bucket list for a while now too...:)

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those are very good images for a phone. How did you light them? The thin shadow suggest a point source light very close to the lens. It might be good to experiment rotating the camera around so the light comes from the direction you choose. While this will change the placement of the shadow, it will also change the placement of the glare spots on the coin so you can decide which you prefer. It is easy to rotate the images when you combine them as TIF did for you. Keep practicing. The great thing about digital photography is that 'film' is free and it can be fun and educational to take many photos of your coins when they are as nice as that one.

Broucheion likes this.
  11. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Yes, i will continue with the photograph experiment. I photographed the coin from a roughly 3" distance using the flash. My photo skills should only improve with time. I also have a few other coins i have been experimenting the techniques on as well.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I made an image to demonstrate the point of rotating the phone. The top three were shot with the built in light which on my phone is just above and slightly to one side of the lens. One was shot vertically, one horizontally and one inverted but images were rotated back to restore the top to 'up'. Note the differences in where the glares and shadows fell. For comparison, below is an image taken with no light other than what was in the room and another using a ring light that clips onto the phone and encircles the lens. I strongly suspect that those intent on using a phone for coins might combine these options and add additional lights (for example combining natural daylight and the ring or the built-in light. I did not try flash because I prefer to see what I will be getting before I shoot. The point here is that there are controls that can be used with any imaging device that can improve or ruin the photos. We each must decide whether we want to learn them or put up with the results. Needless to say, I will be returning to using my camera for photos and my phone for talking.

phonecoin.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted