Etruscan Coin ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Frederik van de Siepkamp, Nov 28, 2019.

?

Who can tell me more about this Etruscan coin

1. I know what it is

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I have no idea

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Could anyone say more about this probably Etruscan coin ?
    It's bronze with a diameter of 33 mm, and weights 18.17 grams, or 280.4 grains.
    The obverse is treequater turned from the reverse site, and it looks to have a rim of 9 sites, instead of 6.
    I say a coin on wikipedia which shows a similar reverse, and was dated app. 214-212 BC.
    I would be happy with any reply which give me more information, because I couldn't find any same design with a horseman warrior.
    Thanks for any reply !
    Frederik

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Surely it is modern, not ancient.

Orielensis and Alegandron like this.
  4. Thanks for your reply, but, can you tell me what the text mean on the obverse ?

5. ameliajessi

ameliajessi New Member

I am here to get and share some knowledge about ancient coins. First I have an information about that coins which i never see and secondly, I am going to share a good information about ancient coins here. Just have a look here,..

How much are ancient Greek coins worth?

Throughout history, many coins have been forged and distributed, which now resides with the numismatists. There are many factors which may affect the value of the coin. For example, understanding which ancient roman coins are most sought after can be sold at a better pricing range. It is essential to know the market and the value of the coin to be in the business or coin trading.

The value of the coin depends on the time it was forged and the material used to make it is also taken into account to set the value of the coin. The ancient Greek coins are sought after because of their rarity, charm and historical significance. This is not it; a numismatist must also understand the value of the appearance of the coin, which can affect the worthiness of the coin. The worth of the coin can go up according to the state of preservation of the coin.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2019
  6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That doesn't match any ancient coin I have ever seen. Probably a modern fantasy piece?

7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Italian, Etruscan-like font: “I senesi ultimi etruschi" - The Senesi Ultimate Etruscans. Definitely a modern coin.

Justin Lee, ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I enjoy collecting Ancient Etrurian (Rasna) coins. That does not look like anything from my experience.

Justin Lee and ominus1 like this.
  9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Whatever someone is pepared to pay for it.

Orielensis and ominus1 like this.
  10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

You can look at what they cost retail (which is not quite the same as what they are "worth") at many sites such as:
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/coins/ancient-2.aspx

ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..there are authentic Etruscan coins, but they are few and far between...i know the legends are read in reverse and i've only seen a few of them.. you coin is most likely what are my peers are telling you it is and i concur with them..

12. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

This is a modern forgery not copying anything ancient.

Barry Murphy

13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

In simply googling the quoted legend above you find examples for sale and discussed, suggesting it is modern possibly from the 70's...

"It is certainly a medal, suggestive but absolutely modern.

the writing, with an "Etruscan" style alphabet, says:

"THE SENESI ULTIMATE ETRUSCANS"

on the net the only reference is to a scripted-documentary produced in the 70s by the local television network "Canale 3 Toscana".
    Perhaps the medal was made for the occasion, perhaps attached to some city newspaper." [translated]
    (from: https://www.lamoneta.it/topic/19267-medaglia-o-moneta/)

Andres2 and ominus1 like this.
  14. Kavax

Kavax Well-Known Member

a range between a buck and several millions

buck1.JPG
    buck2.JPG

Alegandron likes this.
  15. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I would like to find one of these. I could put it next to my autographed MOTHER THERESA baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted