Estonian 1 euro 2011 error coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by muhfff, Aug 22, 2016.

1. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

I bought this one today.
    And maybe somebody can help me a bit.

At first, the facts:
    - The weight is 7.13 g (should be 7.50 g)
    - Thickness and diamater are correct
    - The edge is correct
    - It is non magnetic (the inner circle of standard 1 euro coins reacts to magnet)
    - It is not struck on single "yellow" planchet, it is still "bimetal" but the inner circle seems to be wrong.
    - The 2011 Estonian coins are made in Mint of Finland (but I have no idea, where the planchets came from. Probably also from Finland)
    - the inner circle seems to be slighly different yellow than outer ring

According to my calculations, the inner circle of this coin is pretty exactly 3 grams. (If anybody knows exact weight of inner and outer circle of standard 1 euro coins, please let me know)

And now the question - does anybody have any idea, where the inner circle came from? What coin planchet it may have been? I'm running out of ideas...

PS! Sorry for political statement, but as you can see, the Brexit has already happened on this coin :)

EE11-1E-av.JPG EE11-1E-rev.JPG EE11-1E-edge.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

A GREAT FIND.

muhfff likes this.
  4. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

Small update, if anybody is interested.

I slabed it. NGC agreed, that this is mint error and also made me metallurgic analysis.
    The question remains - does anybody have any idea, where the center came from?

met-analysis-sm.jpg

paddyman98 and chrisild like this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sorry, I cannot help here. As for the blanks that the Mint of Finland uses, they may come from Germany. A few years ago, when Saxonia (metal processing) was split, MoF acquired the planchet production in Halsbrücke near Freiberg. See http://www.mintoffinland.de/en/

Oh, and as for that "political" statement, well, the map on the euro coins was modified about 10 years ago. Since then it has shown Europe, not just the European Union, similar to what is displayed on the euro notes. :) But the E in the currency name looks somewhat worn too ...

Christian

muhfff likes this.
  6. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! It's certainly worth looking.

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I think the only explanation that I can offer is that this is that during the manufacturing process, the inner core nickel somehow was missed.

The overall 1 euro coin has the following specification

Outer core - nickel brass
    Inner core - nickel sandwiched in copper-nickel

As the only magnetic part is pure nickel, I believe it's safe to assume that the nickel was accidentally omitted.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Since you also asked about the weight of a regular €1 coin: As you wrote, the total should be 7.5 grams. The weight of the "golden" ring is 3.79 g, and that of the "silverish" pill is, or should be, 3.71 grams.

Christian

9. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

Thanks Christian! I have searched for this information, but haven't found anything.
    Where did You get these numbers (if that's not secret)?

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nah, not a secret. Gerhard Schön (coin catalog author) mentions that, in one of his books, and also here for example. The forum and that topic are in German, but the figures should be easy to understand. :) His post also has the info for the €2 coins.

Christian

muhfff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted