Estimated value? Nero denarius picture inside

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Swervo513, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

What is the value of such a coin in this condition

NERO. 54-68 AD. AR Denarius (3.19 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck circa 64-65 AD. NERO CAESAR, Laureate head right; c/m: DRmonogram in triangle / AVGVSTVS GERMANICVS, Nero, radiate, standing facing, holding laurel branch and Victory on globe. For coin: RIC I 47; BMCRE 60; RSC 45; (Image courtesy CNG)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    stevex6, icerain and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Edited Post: people who know far better about this coin than me have spoken. Congratulations on your Nero. It is a very pretty coin.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't doubt the authenticity. It must be from an old CNG sale because it's not in their online database. Prices for this type of Nero denarius run fairly high and sometimes there are inexplicable outliers. Based on a quick review of past prices, I think current value could range from ~$600-800, maybe more, but that's just a guess.

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The text is from CNG 70, lot 649, but the image is not, as indicated by the lack of a countermarked monogram in the photo.
    http://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=70422

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh. Hmm. Guess I overlooked the mention of a countermark :oops:

7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

9. Sallent

The reverse die on the fake and this one are not the same. That's not to say this is not a fake... I did raise some concerns earlier but edited my post after others said it was real, and I hope for the OP that this one turns out to be real.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, interesting... the coin shown on Forgery Network was sold by Heritage in April 2011: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=978434

Here is the reason for condemnation, copied from Forgery Network:

-----------------
    Soapy, soft cast surface. "That being said, I told one of the auction houses in question that I thought the coin looked bad in 2011. Not sure if they sold it or withdrew it. I have a copy of the photo in my fake file but I've never seen the coin in hand. Barry Murphy " http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=99076.0Forgery Type: Cast
    ------------------

11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

So what are the dimensions of this coin? The description has been lifted from CNG and the weight given for the CNG coin is 3.19g. What does the OPs coin weigh?

12. Sallent

Would a coin matching the dies on a known cast be enough to condemn it? After all, presumably the cast was made from a real coin, and it can be reasoned that there are other authentic coins out there in existence that came from the same original die. After all, I've seen the threads here where people find matching dies in authentic coins. If a forgerer was to use one of those authentic coins to create a cast, that wouldn't necessarily condemn the other coins in existence that came from the same die the forgery copied....right? Presumably if the weight was correct, there were no signs of casting whatsoever, and the everything else looked right, you should be able to identify a real coin from one that was a cast made from another original coin that had matching ties with the real coin in question?

Does that make sense?

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There's an upcoming auction example with a reverse die match of the OP coin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alegandron, Mikey Zee and Sallent like this.
  14. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Not the same obverse die either. Look at the ends of the wreath ties where it meets the legend and the positioning of the laurel wreath at the ear.

The reverse die can be seen on the following coin:-

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1099490

TIF likes this.
  15. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

TIF likes this.
  16. Swervo513

I won an eBay auction at $750 for this coin from a 100% positive seller. He even offered to deliver it to my door to pay cash. Should I cancel the trade? I alerted him to my concerns of it being a fake let's see what he says.

17. Swervo513

Btw I pulled the info from a separate website. Could this be what's causing confusion with the die?

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What Martin and I were trying to say is that your coin is does not appear to be fake :)

It's a desirable type and I don't think you overpaid to any significant degree, although others might disagree. I'd like to have one of these Nero-as-Colossus denarii :)

Mikey Zee and Swervo513 like this.
  19. Swervo513

Well that's why I post my purchases here you guys are very knowledgeable. Thanks so much for the info.

20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I tend to agree with TIF.....apparently genuine and about high retail for the type and grade----that I'd love to own myself!!

21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I have no worries about the authenticity, and it is a really nice example, lovely toning, etc. As to the price, you got a bargain. If it was in my inventory I would have it priced at $1,500. Where was I when this one was offered????

Draft saved Draft deleted