Estate sales??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tompkins316, Aug 9, 2011.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I just am not sure I guess. I think state laws have to be in play as well, since I live in the twin cities, and have NEVER seen an estate auction here, and believe me I have looked high and low. I just cannot believe if they were possible here NO ONE would have them.

Just my observations from someone who used to go to auctions at least twice a month in Iowa and has not been able to find one since I moved to the twin cities 4 years ago.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MisterPostman

MisterPostman Member

I have been to my first 6 estate sales in the last 2 weeks Haven't found a deal on coins yet, though one lady took my number. I did find a total of 14 sterling silver spoons and forks, from 3 sales, for about $2 each average, which is enough to have me wanting to go find more. Today I am going to an estate auction which has quite a few coins which interest me, such as lots of 90% halves and Morgans. I have heard that coins are often overbid at auctions, but I want to give it a try. (It's very here cold today and our local NFL team plays one hour after the auction starts)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  4. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

What state are you in Postman? Anyone interested in estate auctions in their area can check auctionzip.com and put in the relevant info and see what's on their area. It seems most of the auction action is about the middle of the country toward the east coast and not much at all out toward the west.

Yes, many people tend to overbid Morgans and other silver coins at estate auctions. for some reason they go bonkers and think a well worn Morgan is worth $50 instead of melt. But if you are patient and check frequently and set your limits, there are good bargains to be had at times. One time earlier last year I scored 10 1892-O UNC Morgans that all graded beautifully for about $680 with the 10% premium many add on and sold all but one that is in my collection for a hefty profit. A score like that is rare but I keep checking the auctions around my area all the time. Seems the last 9 months has mostly been small amounts of silver coins not worth a drive of an hour or more and nothing close to make a good score. Won't stop me from looking though.

5. MisterPostman

MisterPostman Member

Keemao, I am in CO, I use craiglist and estate sales.com and a few others to find sales. At the auction I went to I only bought a box of junk jewelry for $23. I had seen a cufflink that said "platinum" but alas, on the other side of the mount was the word "front" so it is just some kind of plating. The box did have a nice French porcelain trinket box and some decent looking base jewelry I can give away to kids, friends etc. All of the coins sold for prices that I would consider just OK at best. It took at least half a day of my time, it was fun and I am glad I tried, but am not planning to do it again soon. In my experience, estate sales or auctions which involve a company, or thrift stores don't often have many "finds" It is always possible though. My best finds have been at small garage or estate sales without pro agents. The whole process is a lot of fun, today I bought a Bing Crosby 78 from 1948 for $1.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Not much for estate or tag sales a lot of the guys who run them or go to them call me if they get anything good and I'm happy to pay a fair price. As to auctions I usu cover 4-6 a week often more then that I usu leave bids or phone bid. I'm not just looking for coins those are actually a sideline I'm looking for good original 18th c American furniture and accessories

7. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted