Estate Sale pickup

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by LM3012, May 18, 2018.

1. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

Picked up this nice 1891 Crown for practically nothing at a local estate/tag sale. Really like it. I love big chunky silver coins.

32730234_10160436161030333_1496035867674804224_n.jpg 32835175_10160436161055333_6408305850917584896_n.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I share your love for large silver.

LM3012 likes this.
  4. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

That's a great buy even if you paid only silver value.

This is a exact reason I go to the monthly flea market in my area. Treasure hunting is super fun.

*coins, LM3012 and asheland like this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

@Mr. Flute heavy metal/Neanderthal business guy is still my favorite member photo of all time here

LM3012 and Stevearino like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Very sweet. I have an auction I'm going to tomorrow morning that has several British crowns in it.

7. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Nice pick up!

8. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

off-topic - it's actually Unfrozen Cavemen Lawyer from early 1990s SNL. I use this avatar in most other forums I frequent through the interwebs.

Numismat and Hiddendragon like this.
  9. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Quick question...
    Do you find a lot of coins at estate sales? I have never seen them there before, but see a lot of people (eBay for example) who buy coins from estate sales.

10. LM3012

LM3012 Active Member

On ebay a lot of things SAY they are estate sale liquidations, but i don't know how many actually are. I wouldn't say I see a lot of coins at estate sales when I go, but it's always worth a look, you never know what deals you may find.

serafino and *coins like this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It's NEARLY the ONLY way I acquire coins. Going to another one tomorrow.

12. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Really? Maybe the ones by me just don't like putting out coins or something...

13. Bilbo1

Bilbo1 Member

Make friends with probate lawyers .

14. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I'd love to find that for melt!

15. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

16. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Nice get, I had a good buddy of mine find a us 1/10 oz. eagle at a yard sale junk box for a buck. Not bad. How can you not love a nice old crown?

LM3012 likes this.
  17. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

I've been going to a lot of estate sales over the past 3 months or so, and if you're not there a day early to get a number, or you don't have an "in" with the person running the sale, you're most likely not going to get any of the good stuff. I've arrived plenty early many times, just to find out the guy right before me walked off with the entire coin collection. Disappointed, I purchase a few old Hot Wheels and license plates, then hit up any banks in the area for old bills. There is the off chance that a previous collector missed something, however.
    I went to a sale just last Friday that advertised a lot of coins. I arrived 15 minutes after the sale started because of work and traffic. The people running the sale told me that someone right before me bought all the silver half dollars they had (Bens and Walkers) at 15x face!!! I couldn't believe they paid that much, because I'm pretty sure they were all commons from the pictures I saw. Anyway, the guy left all the good coins...older Liberty Head Nickels, two Walkers (1916 & 1919 in G-VG), 9 large cents, silver proof sets, 1981 proof sets (that I check for Type 2s), and a bunch of Seated Liberty Dimes, among other stuff. I put together and bought almost everything left for around $380, and scored a silver Tiffany & Co. chain bracelet for the wife for $20. So sometimes it works out! =)

Jaelus, LM3012 and Mr. Flute like this.
  18. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Very interesting, thanks.

19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This is what I was wondering, if you need to get there immediately. To me, it seems like the obvious valuables should go fast but maybe other people just don't think about those as valuables. Like you'd always hear stories about people throwing out old baseball cards even when they were really big.

20. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

Yeah, from what I see, not only do you have to be there hours before the sale starts, but in some cases, the day before!

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted