esoteric/occult/sexual/odd coins ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tobiask, May 24, 2015.

1. tobiask

tobiask Well-Known Member

Post/show coins you own or know that are "different" from the majority. Anything strange or peculiar, maybe even sexual, like the greek one with satyr abducting nymph..or however that one is called.
    Weren't there roman brothel tokens that showed sexual acts ?
    Maybe any nudity ?

Thought I would start a fun thread.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great. Another penis thread. :rolleyes:

Well, for one thing, the Romans depicted many gods without any pants - or shirt, or shoes, or loincloth for that matter. Look for good strikes to get the junk.

galerius.jpg

However, there is nothing unusual about this coin at all. Just a normal Roman depiction of Genius.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Gao, zumbly, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Seems to me the only time I got censored was posting some brothel tokens.

stevex6 likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Just so this thread is not all about sex, here is a coin depicting a sacrifice to the gods.

L_Pompomius_Molo OBV.jpg L_Pompomius_Molo REV.jpg
    L POMPONIUS MOLO ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS POMPONIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo right; L POMPON MOLO around
    REVERSE: Numa Pompilius standing right before altar preparing to sacrifice a goat which is being held by a youth; NVMA POMPIL in exergue
    Struck at Rome 97 BC
    3.7g, 18mm
    Crawford 334/1; Pomponia 6

Gao, zumbly, Pishpash and 3 others like this.
  6. Bing

Or a coin depicting a Roman myth.
    L. TITURIUS L.F. SABINUS 2.jpg
    L. TITURIUS L.F. SABINUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS TITURIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Head of Taitus facing right, SABIN behind, palm before
    REVERSE: Tarpeia buried to her waist in shields, fending off two soldiers about to throw their shields on her; L. TITVRI in exergue
    Struck at Rome 89 BC
    3.2 g, 20 mm
    Cr344/2b; Sydenham 699; Tituria 4

The legend tells that while Rome was besieged by the Sabine king Titus Tatius, Tarpeia, daughter of the commander of the citadel, Spurius Tarpeius, approached the Sabine camp and offered them entry to the city in exchange for "what they bore on their left arms". Greedy for gold, she had meant their bracelets, but instead the Sabines threw their shields—carried on the left arm—upon her, crushing her to death. Her body was then hurled from (or, according to some accounts, buried at) a steep cliff of the southern summit of the Capitoline Hill. The cliff was named the Tarpeian Rock after its victim, and would become known as the place of execution for Rome's most notorious traitors. The Sabines were however unable to conquer the Forum, its gates miraculously protected by boiling jets of water created by Janus.

Gao, zumbly, Pishpash and 3 others like this.
  7. Bing

Or we can show body parts:
    Thasos 2.jpg
    ISLAND OFF THRACE THASOS
    AR Trihemiobol
    OBVERSE: Satyr running left in three-quarter view, holding kylix
    REVERSE: ΘΑΣ − ΙΩΝ Amphora
    Struck at Thasos, 411-350BC
    0.69g, 12 mm
    SNGCop 1030

Gao, zumbly, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And I would strongly recommend that anyone doing so here would also read the rules very carefully. As the original poster seemed to be asking for posts that might result in problems for the authors due to his/their definition of 'fun' , I ask that they consider the rules. The members of the forum who have posted here so far , John and Bing, have presented material and explanations in a very acceptable format, lets keep it that way. Thanks, Jim

Kentucky likes this.
  9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

To a large extent, it seems to me that ancient engravers regarded their depictions of the gods as works of art, and thus not necessarily subject to any type of self-censorship. While clearly tesserae / spintria coins were intended to be explicitly sexual, coins engraved for general circulation probably had no such intentional or unintentional connotations.

Throughout history, sculptors (e.g., Michelangelo's David) and artists (.e.g, Rembrandt's various nudes) considered depictions of the nude human form to be fundamentally and wholly artistic and not erotic. In fact, on general-circulation Roman coins (at least those with which I'm familiar) such depictions are usually in militaristic or deific (is that a word?) poses:

Cb - Domitian AE sestertius - dual.jpg

DOMITIAN 69 - 81 AD.
    AE Sestertius (26.88 g.) Thrace 80-81 AD RIC 509 Titus
    CAES DIVI AVG VESP F DOMITIANVS COS VII, laureate head right / S C across field, Mars walking right, holding spear in right hand, trophy over left shoulder

Ad - Vespasian AV aureus - dual.jpg

VESPASIAN 69 - 71 A.D.
    AV Aureus (7.35 g.) Rome Jul. - Dec. 71 A.D. RIC 44
    IMP CAES VESP AVG P M Laureate head right. Rev. NEP - RED Neptune standing left, right foot on globe, holding acrostolium and scepter.

Cucumbor, Gao, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  10. Bing

Both are beautiful IoM.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Indeed.

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

IOM eloquently addressed the "erotic" issue.

As for "occult", to people who believe in one of the modern religions, I'd guess that most ancient coins could be viewed as "occult". Romans had deities for everything and Greeks had their extensive pantheon. Local and regional gods, myths, and legends abounded.

As for "odd" coins... sure! We can take this thread to page 100 :D. Although, like beauty, odd is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll kick off the "odd" with one of my favorite types: a flying pig :)

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Samos. 510-500 BCE
    AR drachm, 13.7 mm, 3.2 gm
    Obv: forepart of winged boar left
    Rev: facing lion scalp with dotted square, within incuse square
    Ref: SNG Cop 1673
    Part of the TIF Pink Floyd Animals collection; track 5, "Pigs on the Wing, Part II"

The reason for winged boars on ancient coins is unclear. This is the only written mention I've found:

From http://www.theoi.com/Ther/HusKlazomenaios.html

THE HUS KLAZOMENAIOS was a gigantic winged sow which terrorized the Greek town of Klazomenai in Ionia, Asia Minor.

Aelian, On Animals 12. 38 (trans. Scholfield) (Greek natural history C2nd A.D.) :
    "I have heard that on Klazomenai [and island west of Smyrna] there was a Sow with wings, and it ravaged the territory of Klazomenai. And Artemon records this in his Annals of Klazomenai. That is why there is a spot named and celebrated as `The Place of the Winged Sow,’ and it is famous. But if anyone regards this as myth, let him do so."

Cucumbor, Gao, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  13. tobiask

Great example, this is the stuff i was referring to :)
    Flying pig..

TIF likes this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummmm, how 'bout a snake riding a horse?

ant 4b.jpg

Or four elephants with riders pullin' a cart?

Augustus Elephant Sestertius a.jpg

... or a cow hangin' five?
    Byz Cow & Dolphin a.jpg

... or a nude dude drinkin' a beer and ridin' a dolphin?
    Calabria Tarentum b.jpg

... maybe a lion with a goat protruding from its back and a snake for a tail?
    chimaera a.jpg

... or a chick feeding a snake?
    fabatus b b.jpg

... or maybe a serpent eating a maiden is more your speed?

Duchy Dragon a.jpg

... or cupid ridin' a goat (always a winner, eh?)

goat boy b.jpg

... or this cute lil' dude with a snake in one hand and a hammer in the other?
    Islands off Iberia Ebusus a.jpg

... who would win a 50 meter sprint, a gryphon or a dog?
    L Papi b.jpg

:rolleyes:

Pishpash, Cucumbor, Gao and 6 others like this.
  15. tobiask

All of those are great, thanks for posting !!
    Which one is the serpent eating a maiden ??

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm .... or how 'bout the original Santa Claus reindeer sleigh?

Lucius Axius b.jpg

... a nude dude turtling behind his shield?
    Mysia Kisthene Orontes a.jpg

... not quite sure what these two are up to?
    nymph a.jpg

Perseus with Medusa's bloody head perhaps?
    pontosh.jpg

Who doesn't get a kick outta an angel riding a dolphin, right?
    rufus b.jpg

How 'bout a chick swingin' a rudder as a weapon (oh, did I forget to mention that she has a body made from fishes and wild dogs?)
    Sextus Pompey b.jpg

oops, we can't forget about the guy with the amazing lion hat!!
    Thessaly Skotoussa a.jpg

Man, I am not quite sure what this farmer is doing with his oxen? (*awkward*)
    Titus b.jpg

anybody lookin' for a two-bodied owl?
    Troas Sigeion b.jpg

Pishpash, Cucumbor, Gao and 5 others like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Those are some truly odd coins, Steve-O! I want one of those conjoined owls (had to correct my typo; muscle memory kicked in after typing the c and o... coinjoined :D )

Ancient coins are rife with odd modes of transportation. How about a chariot of cupids!
    [​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    moneyer L. Julius L. f. Caesar, 103 BC

AR denarius, 17mm, 3.9 gm
    Obv: Helmeted head of Mars left; CAESAR; ・J above
    Rev: Venus Genetrix in chariot left, drawn by two Cupids; lyre to left; ・J above
    Ref: Crawford 320/1

1. The pudgy cupids are not aerodynamic.
    2. The chariot wheels don't touch the ground.
    3. Splat.
    [​IMG]

... or a quadriga of hippocamps?
    [​IMG]
    PHOENICIA, Berytos
    1st century BCE
    Æ19.5, 5.9 gm
    Obv: Turreted head of Tyche right
    Rev: Poseidon standing left in quadriga drawn by four hippocamps Ref: SNG Copenhagen 83

... or a flying serpent?
    [​IMG]
    THRACE, Pautalia. Caracalla
    CE 198-217
    AE29, 16.4 gm
    Obv: AYT K M AY CEY ANTΩNEINOC; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: OYΛΠIAC ΠAYTAΛIAC; Asklepios seated right on back of winged serpent
    Ref: Varbanov 5007

18. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

I started a thread with this coin and I've always liked the way this dolphin rider is dragging an octopus along for the ride:

[​IMG]

And here's an earlier type of the same city I'm hoping to be high bidder on, and he's dragging the poor octopus the opposite direction!
    [​IMG]

beef1020, Pishpash, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  19. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I can probably speak to the erotic tesserae better than any of our other members. I've been collecting and studying tesserae, primarily the lead, but to a lesser extent the bronze, for some time now. The idea that they were used as entrance tokens for whatever was depicted on them simply does not hold up, especially for the erotic bronze types. The numbers on the reverses do not correspond to the acts on the obverse, and the find spots do not correspond to brothel sites. Their true purpose remains unknown, but I speculate that were simply a parody of the more common bronze tesserae bearing an imperial image on the obverse and a numeral on the reverse.

With regards to the erotic types in bronze - mostly simple phaluses - I think that Thornton makes a convincing argument that, as Mercury is frequently depicted as herm, a statuary type consisting of a bust set on a square pedestal adorned with only genitalia, the phallus is in fact an emblem of the god in his guise as a fertility deity. This fits much better with the pattern presented by other tesserae of mostly matching diety/symbol types.

Here are the two phallic types in my collection:

[​IMG]
    ROME
    PB Tessera (16mm, 2.92 g, 12 h)
    Horse standing right; C above
    Erect phallus; A V flanking
    Rostovtsev -

Rostovtsev1 gathers into one group all tesserae depicting the phallus, various iterations of the word Amor, and the extremely rare pieces depicting sexual acts. He assumes that these pieces were entrance tickets to the Lupanaria, ancient brothels. This association has caused many scholars to refuse to accept tesserae as currency, as they feel that such crude themes would never have been depicted on currency. Thornton2, however, convincingly argues that, as Mercury is sometimes depicted as a herm, a statuary type consisting of a bust set on a square pedestal adorned with only genitalia, the phallus is in fact an emblem of the god in his guise as a fertility deity.

[​IMG]
    ROME
    PB Tessera (14mm, 3.31 g)
    Phallus
    Two-pronged pitchfork
    Rostovstev 919 corr. (rev. description); Minturnae 49​

Pellinore, Gao, Bing and 7 others like this.
  20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

We've probably never seen that as "odd", but franckly, would you regard a she-wolf feeding two little poor abandonned twins as something "normal" ?
    I guess not...

[​IMG]
    Republic, Didrachm Rome mint c. 269-266 BC
    No legend, Diademed head of young Hercules right, with club and lion's skin over shoulder
    ROMANO, She wolf right, suckling Romulus and Remus
    7.29 gr
    Ref : RCV # 24, RSC # 8

Q

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

well, i went through my ancients, and i don't really have any erotic coins. i recently posted by olbia dolphins in another thread, they're weird.

this is kind of strange...mauryan punchmark square coin.

[​IMG]

i looked through my modern coins as well...had also recently posted my wire money, but is a porcelain gilded notgeld coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Anthony, stevex6 and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted