Errors?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Art Monroe, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Art Monroe

Art Monroe New Member

Ok, I am back with more questions for everyone on possible error coins. I have a penny that may have a die crack, another penny with part of the date and Liberty missing, as well as a 2016 West Virginia quarter with what looks like a cracked water barrel and some gouges in a couple of the letters. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated. I am still trying to figure out the Doubled Die issues since I have what I thought were D/D but it looks more like the letters are shrinking. Anyway, last question, are these or any standard crack, D/D error and such worth looking for and collecting for monetary value or is it just you would have a coin that not too many other people would have?

Thanks for all your help.
    Art

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

chips and dip...or grease.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Art Monroe First two down, struck through grease or worn die issues. Not seeing anything on the Shield cent. Damage on the quarter. On this quarter look for doubling in the windows above the first barrel. Tilt the coin from side to side, the doubling is tricky to see.

5. Art Monroe

Art Monroe New Member

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. Would grease and worn die issues be an error or just considered damage and not worth keeping? Also, the shield on the penny had a crack on the lower part of the "N" in cent, maybe i did not get a good enough photo of it. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help, soon I hopefully will not have any more questions or I will run out of coins.

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Struck through grease (or other material) is considered an error but yours really doesn't have any additional value. BTW: I would still keep it if I got it in change. Worn Dies are not considered an error. I think the mark on the N is damage from a hit and not a die crack

7. Art Monroe

Art Monroe New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for letting me know. I think that even if they are not worth much I am going to hang on to them, they will be nice conversation pieces. Thanks again.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A little of everything. Grease, worn dies and damage. All common and nothing sticking out.

Draft saved Draft deleted