Errors of/in Currency.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Searcher64, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have noticed that we do not have a listing of errors. Today, I received in change a $5.00 US note. JF59665229B series 2009 in fine condition. Came out of a machine. Has black ink in upper top left edge. The OBV center right has green ink vertical splatter. The print' is on top of the splatter. So, it's a direct splatter before the printing process, than from after the print process. What are your thoughts on this type error? If I can I will try to upload a scan of it, not to good at doing this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nm1560

nm1560 Member

Pic would help. But from your description it sounds like teller stamps.

4. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

No nm1560. I was printer at one time, so I know the difference. Also, I have been collecting US currency sine 1993, mainly the small size. I also collect MPC, Fractionals. As US coins since the 1950's

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just post the picture so we can share our thoughts.. Many times we can determine and correct people who think they know what the printing error could be. Does not matter how long they have been collecting.

Drawde likes this.
  6. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Will see if this works. IMG_4079.JPG IMG_4082.JPG IMG_4080.JPG

7. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Not an error, just some stray ink on the bill.

Ink marks like this often appear to be "under" the intaglio printing, because most ink soaks into the paper, but the ink used in the BEP's intaglio presses is thick and pasty and remains in relief on top of the paper (creating the ridged feel of intaglio). So the intaglio printing is "on top" in the sense of being farther off the paper, but it was still there first.

Dean 295 likes this.
  8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

True on the ink, but, if it was there before the print job. I could not show on the scan/picture that the "Ink" print is over the ink spill area. Many of the ink spills are after, or during the process. If a splatter, before the load of stock to the shelf, then the print is over the ink spill, if during the latter then the print is "Under" the print. "Numbers" have you ever been a printer?

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Why is the ink a different color than any used on US Currency? Ask me if I'm a printer.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There is a legit error called an ink smear.
    It is one that is often faked, so you need an expert to know if it is real or not.
    Offhand the ink on your bill is blue pen ink. The ink smears are usually very dark green. (Or they were in the old days before they changed the currency.)

11. nm1560

nm1560 Member

Agree with Numbers. Smear seems to follow a crease on the bill. Bill was wadded up in a purse or pocket and brushed up against a leaky blue ink pen.
    And yes I was a wadded up bill in my past life.

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Post BEP.

In my former life, I was a Bic Pen, and I leaked every chance I got.

Draft saved Draft deleted