error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jul, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Jul

Jul New Member

try to upload these in one post 20180814_165731.jpg 20180814_165731.jpg 20180814_164741.jpg 20180814_213235.jpg 20180814_213235.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jul

Jul New Member

1995 D penny

Attached Files:

4. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

A little help please. What do you think you see? I see a damaged quarter and a shiny cent valued at roughly 26 cents.
    upload_2018-8-15_16-19-25.jpeg

toned_morgan likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Please don't make us guess. If you think there is a error please indicate where you are seeing it on the coins.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The quarter has many potmark hits including between the "WE"
    but I'm clueless what you think an error is on the quarter other than circulation wear and damage?
    we don't read minds very well ...

7. Jul

Jul New Member

there is a red arrow pointing at it on the quarter. as for the
    well there is a red arrow pointing to the spot on the quarter. and the penny is bright over the head area

8. Jul

Jul New Member

again arrow pointing to it.

9. Jul

Jul New Member

again red arrow. and no im new at this and learning myself. I'm only asking. but im done here on this site ppl are very rude and my son is already embarrassed by how ppl respond because we don't know

10. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Hi there, Welcome to Coin talk. I am sorry some people just get impatient here. yes this is a good place to learn about coins. I don't see much of an error. would please point out what you see, I looked at the arrow but did not see much of anything. Thanks

11. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I think the arrows are a pretty good idea, actually, and some description to go along with it would complete the package.

For example, if you ask “Do you see an error near WE”, we could say “Because of the way the metal is pushed up at the top of the mark, it is obvious that it was gouged by something that displaced the metal in the direction of the impact.”

That would occur in circulation and is considered PMD (post-mint damage). As such, it detracts from the value of the coin. Since the coin doesn’t have anyone who would pay a premium to have it in this grade in the first place, it’s still worth just a quarter.

Of course, if your description asked about something else you could get a different type of answer.

12. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Wait a minute! I think I see what you're seeing for the penny! I can see that the details on the very top of his hair are worn out or smudged. I'm not a pro at error coins, so I'm sorry I can't help you on this, but I might help others see what you might be seeing.

Also we are sorry for being so rude and impatient. Please do not be embarrassed... we all have to be beginners at everything, and we will always make mistakes, and mistakes are a way to learn. When I started, I believed everything was valuable because I relied on untrustworthy sites for information about my common coins, and some people would make fun of me for not knowing things. However, I have learned from those mistakes (and still make some mistakes by the way) and I know that not all coins are rare. Please remember that you should not be embarrassed because you don't know what other people do know. Much luck in continuing the hobby!

PS. What is your avatar? It looks very ornate and pretty.

13. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

@Jul I don't see an error on the quarter, but I see struck through grease on Lincoln's head on the cent. Not enough to bring a premium above face value, but an interesting find nonetheless.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That might explain it, I'm colorblind and have difficulty seeing red. I went back and looked again but I can't find the arrow. So can you tell me where I'm supposed to be looking?

The bright area over Lincolns head is just an area that is still showing the original luster that hasn't toned down like the rest of the coin. If you mean the weakness of the details in Lincolns hair that is probably a combination of weak stike and possibly some grease filling of the die.

15. Jul

Jul New Member

well he struggles with being an artist. I couldn't draw a stick figure if my life depended on it. so i know how he feels. now my oldest is amazing at drawing so ill see if she can help us with the sloppiness. so my question was, is that an error between the w and the e? the area that reads "in God we trust". and yes I wanted to know if that penny was brighter over his head. I did post the wrong photo, ( but that arrow was really bad shhh), is it an error and if so what would they be called? if not, I'm sorry for wasting your time here in social media life. see we don't know what an error is exactly. im assuming it happens while the coin is being pressed or made I guess. so many different terms and opinions as well. so its confusing. thanks for your time and your quick responses. other than a couple other coins we have questions on, I'll just try Google and see how to tell the difference in damage on coins. It was just something to look into other than tv. thanks again.

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

99.99% and greater of things people think are mint errors are actually damage. If you were to check and categorize your change for, say, 3 months you would see a lot of damage. Damage can be very minor with scratches all over; you have circulation wear; colorized, toning, environmental damage; then you get into bigger hits, gouges, scratchs; then "smashes" for lack of better words where it could be bent, cuts into the metal, etc.

Best thing would be to peruse the "Errors" and "What's It Worth" section to see loads of damaged coins misconstrued as mint errors. (Yes, you are not the only one thinking damage is an error.)

Mint errors are very LIMITED,
    whereas damage is UNLIMITED.
    You have to learn the minting process then you'll understand a lot more.

Learning about all this coinage is a never ending learning hobby.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Spark1951 and RonSanderson like this.
  17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Being mind readers. We are not

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Thank you. No that is not an error, it is the result of something like a small pointed object hitting the coin at a slight angle. It dug in and pushed up a ridge of metal joining the tops of the W and the E.

(Even knowing now where to look, I still can't see the arrow. So you can understand why in my first post I asked not to make us guess. I just didn't see ANYTHING, no error, and I can't see the arrow pointing to what you were wondering about.)

20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I don't know. If this is your first post then I see no rudeness here. People said please post better pictures, which is reasonable. I saw your arrow on the quarter, but only when looking at the smaller pics. As for the penny, it just got shined up a bit in that one spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted