Error & Variety Lincoln Cents found roll searching? Post em

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Collect89, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

My sister found an off center cent in circulation

My sister received an off center cent in change about 10 years ago. I was quite surprised she found it & very happy that she gave it to me. It has no date and is red & brown AU. It is almost the correct size for a cent. It made sense that it could have fit into a roll & been circulated for some time. I have the coin in my collection but no photo. If I see the coin this weekend, I'll snap a photo.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I posted this on the error thread but I'll also post it here. I found this one last night. I guess it's considered a die gouge and not a doubled die (eyelid). That white thing on the second picture was a piece of paper that I blew off before taking the second picture.

Attached Files:

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're thinking with the Bahamas cent, but that's the correct color for those.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Sorry I didn't explain more clearly.

I initially found all three pieces together & assumed they were related. (i.e. perhaps the mint made Bahamas cents and a golden colored blank got mixed & struck into a Lincoln cent). Of course, after a simple weight measurement & few moments of further thought, I realized I really had actually found three completely unrelated coins. One is a regular cent. One is a regular Lincoln cent after a high school experiment which had turned it gold color. One is a normal Bahamas cent that someone threw into the same change. When my heirs find all three coins together in the same flip, you can count on some confusion. :devil:

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

That must have been a fun find. It's quite cool to look at IMO. :)

Today I purchased a couple baggies of 100 Lincolns for $5 each. They are all wheat cents and quite a few are red & RB in the mix. After a couple hours of fun I only have five coins in 2x2s. Three of them have die cracks on Lincoln’s head. I’ll take photos & see if I can get them posted before dinner and tonight’s Teletrade auction.

7. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

It was exciting at first because I thought I'd found my first real doubled die, but then when I checked out lincoln cent resource I found out it's not considered a doubled die, but I'm still glad I found it, especially after going through a whole box of pennies that I'd already checked. lol [​IMG]

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

crack head = cracked skull = die cracks on Lincoln's head

Here are three crack heads. All are dated 1955.

The search was fun although I only found a few keepers.

Attached Files:

9. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I can see this is going to be a fun thread. Can't wait to get home and post a couple of mine.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Anxious to see your photos

It will be nice to see your photos.

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Proud pappa in 1995

In 1995 everyone was sifting through 1995 cents to find the “big one”. My six year old son was playing with me & we searched the rolls together. We did this many evenings together. Our searches revealed a number of 1995 cents which had other minor errors & doubling on them. My son found this one with doubling on the reverse. The kid's coin got published in the Error Trend Coin Magazine (ETCM). Here is a photo of the photo used in ETCM. I’ve got the coin but it's not handy for taking a photo right now.

Attached Files:

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

13. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

this really motivates me to search some cents!

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Me too

Good idea. This weekend in CT is supposed to be kind of wet, cold & raw outside. I am picking-up lunch for the office & my bank is right across the street. I'll see if I can pick-up some coins & try to report my finds here on Monday.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

Attached Files:

16. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Zinc gas bubbles. Damage.

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Originally Posted by Jon4485
    this really motivates me to search some cents!

I purchased $10 in cents but have only sorted half and still need to inspect for errors & varieties. Here is the preliminary finding:

• Only 2 wheat cents in the first 500 coins
    • Zero coins dated 1960, 1963, 1966, 1970, 2009, or 2012
    • 82 out of the 500 were copper
    • Several from 1968 to date appear to be well struck uncirculated (keepers)

Attached Files:

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I only made it up to the mid 1980s searching for errors & varieties. First I review the books & Internet for the date, then I carefuly view each coin of that date. Nothing interesting found so far.

Attached Files:

19. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

seems like you do what i do and search your cents with care :D but my setup is not nearly as cool lol

20. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

What kind of scope is that?

J

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It is a pretty standard Baush & Lomb stereo microscope with zoom. The zoom is adjustable from 0.7x to 3.5x.

I don't recall exactly but I think it has 10x eyepieces so the maximum magnification is 35x. At 0.7x you could see an entire US quarter dollar. At 3.5x you can see only a couple digits in a coin's date.

The really nice feature is that it was purchased on the cheap (industrial auction) and it includes a boom stand. The boom stand is great for securely holding the microscpe over albums and just about anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted