Error Strike State Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by alurid, Sep 19, 2016.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I found this in pocket change years ago.I have done some research, but did not find any real info on such a coin. It does not have any reeding on edge. I can see a P mintmark.
    and some faint lettering at rim. I do know it is a 1999 Connecticut state quarter from tree design on reverse. Any ideas on how it came to be or value?

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Very interesting! I recall that someone posted a coin with similar attributes to yours, but alas, old age has set in and I can't remember what it was called. It is not due to a grease-filled die. Rather, it has something to do with the weakness of the strike (I think). Perhaps someone with a better memory will chime in and help you.

Chris

alurid likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Maybe not enough tonage on the press?

5. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I believe it's called an adjustment strike. Correct me if I'm off on that.. Very interesting piece!

cpm9ball likes this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

To me the rim looks too full on both sides of the coin to be a die trial piece . . . my vote is struck through excessive grease.

Cascade and Evan8 like this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I agree with die adjustment strike. The rims are supposed to be full.

9. Markus1959

Please read link in post #5

10. ToughCOINS

You mean the rims are supposed to be full, as in exhibiting full reeding?

I agree, and will backpedal from my original assertion that this looks like a strike through greased dies. I jumped to the conclusion that striking pressure was adequate, based on the relatively sharp edge interior to the rim, however that is not sufficient to reach such a conclusion.

Live and learn.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Evan8 likes this.
  11. Markus1959

Don't planchets have rims on them already? I never understood this!

upload_2016-9-19_18-8-35.png

12. ToughCOINS

Type 2 planchets have an upset edge, a rolled feature, but it is not well-defined, especially at the inside edge of the rim, where it meets the fields.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

I don't understand what you don't understand. Do you mean, "Why is it necessary for a planchet to have an upset rim?"

Chris:confused::confused::confused::confused:

14. Markus1959

Well then we have mutual "misunderstandingship"!

15. Markus1959

Thank you for the explanation - NOW I know!!

16. Evan8

Sorry I was talking about the upset edge. The low pressure strikes I've seen all have the upset edge.

17. cpm9ball

It is my understanding that the purpose of the upset rim is to make it easier for metal to flow outward toward the edge.

Chris

18. Evan8

I believe that is correct. Essentially, creating the highest part of the coin therefore being the first part of the coin to wear and extending the life of the coin, if I'm not mistaken.

19. Markus1959

Yeah - I understand that as now most of the die pressure will be to pushing the metal of the planchet into the relief areas of the coin. Plus I'm sure that prolongs die life! First time I remember the Government actually doing something to save the taxpayers some money! Although the penny (Lincoln cent) still costs almost 2 cents for them to mint it!

Evan8 likes this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You could run a bio diesel for a good 10 miles on the amount of grease those dies had on them. Sheesh!

21. Markus1959

?????

Draft saved Draft deleted