Error Searchers - Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coin-crazy, Aug 15, 2010.

1. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

How are you so sure it's a doubled die? I'm pretty sure that's strike doubling :S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

How are you so sure its strike doubling? Im 100% sure its not, but thanks anyways~!!

4. cubenewb

I never said I was 'so sure,' I just think it looks more like strike doubling. I can't really make out the offset text in "In God we Trust" that your picture is trying to allude to, and what does appear to be the offset letters doesn't appear to be on the same level as the original strike, which has always been an indication of SD in my experience. It looks flatter, and no where near as bold as it should be for it to be a DD. Here's a picture I found of a supposed 82 DDO:

[​IMG]

This one is doubled differently than yours is it seems.

Again, I never claimed to be right, I was just stating my opinion. Hence why I asked why you were so sure... if I had found a piece like that in my searchings, I'd probably cast it off as SD. I'm looking more to learn than teach here.

edit: Something interesting I did notice is that your piece and this one have the same variation in the thickness of the outer border; it tends to be thinner on the left and progressively thicker as it goes clockwise through the motto. Maybe I just have bad eyes for your pictures, and it really is a DDO? At this point an expert would be better consultation than either of us, I'm sure

5. coin-crazy

Well my friend, I posted my findings on another site and theyagreed with me . The doubling is spread evenly on the obverse.

6. cubenewb

Another site? I hope you're not talking about this thread you just made? Because you're the only one who has posted in it :p

http://board.conecaonline.org/showthread.php?p=9918

But yeah, it could very well be a DDO. I've already conveyed my opinion, sorry for the multiple postings. No matter what it's a cool find!

7. coin-crazy

Well thank you..and that me on that site as well. And especially on that site, If they dont agree with you ,the experts would say so.When they only look , thats a thumbs up!!!

8. coin-crazy

New 2002-P Cent variety trail

I found this coin last night.

Attached Files:

9. coin-crazy

2006-P Cent with trails.

I found this last night.

Attached Files:

10. coin-crazy

1985-P Reverse Die Clash

This is a nice die clash.

Attached Files:

11. coin-crazy

1995-P Face Doubling

There is a break in the copper of this coin and also due to this kind of doubling .I just pointed out what I think to be doubling in the face of this coin . All comments and questions welcomed!!Thanks..

Attached Files:

12. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

This isnt recent but I pulled this from circulation last year...its the only clipped Andrew Jackson I've ever heard of.

[​IMG]

13. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I know a lot is said about strike doubling and true doubling being on the same level, etc. I got a 1968 D cent in change when in Monterey, Ca on vacation. The lettering looked real deep like a really strong strike, but the "GOD" looked funky. I saw that only the G O D appeared to be doubled, but not even. It seemed to be stepped slightly. I went to "Copper Coins" and it sure seemed to match the 1968 D DDO-2 they show. The doubling on the die they show seems to be stepped also ? I would have thought MD would show over a greater area of the lettering ?

I thought the OP's coin was a strike double, but am not going against the opinion of someone who has the coin in hand. If it is indeed double die, I may have to take another look at a box I was planning to dump this week, because it's not something I was looking for.

gary

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Thanks. Have read a few articles and studied the pics, but it's hard to do the "self testing" from pics alone. But the 1968 I found matches the known die variety listed on the Copper Coin site, at least as much as I can tell. Unfortunately, my pics leave a lot to be desired. lol Hopefully I will get a better rig built now that the weather has cooled ?

gary

16. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

It's taken me a long time to see the differences because when I started collecting, I used an old guide book that listed some of the machine doubling as "re-cut" devices when in actuality they weren't. The term "shelf-like" is about the easiest way to establish the machine doubling where the device is sheared therefore causing a secondary flat image. In true doubling the hub is struck twice which accounts for the secondary image to appear on the same plane as the primary device. When you look at the famous 1955 cent, you see how both images are level. That example is extreme but if you tighten up the two images (strikes) you'll understand how that type of doubling is different from machine (sheared) doubling. You'll also see the notching which differentiates it from machine doubling.

I hope that doesn't sound like gobble-de-gook.:smile

17. 50cent

50cent What A steal

iv'e only found two errors in my coin life
    #1,Double ear lincoln 2010
    #2,I don't know what it was called i forgot

18. JPB516

JPB516 New Member

Hello, I am new to all this and wanted to know if I could get your thoughts on a couple coins. One is a 1988-d Jefferson and the other, a Northern Marianan quarter. There appears to be doubling. The '88 nickel also looks to be a D/P mm. If not, could you tell me what it is that I am seeing, or not seeing. As I look through coins, I seem to see a lot of doubling. Thanks for your help and comments.

northern mariana quarter DDR.jpg 1988 D nickle.jpg

19. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

JPB-

Both are examples of die-shift, or strike doubling. These are not doubled dies and command little if any premium unless extreme.

20. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

015-2-1-1 On ebay Now.jpg 1.7 Million US Dollar 1943 Bronze Lincoln cent error on Coin World issued 0ct 11 , 2010.

21. coin-crazy

2008-P Lincoln with head shrapnel

I found this coin yesterday and thats all I can say about it..It more loooks like a head wound..lol

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted