Error penny that is size of a quarter.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Todd walker, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

Hello coin people, i shared a couple pics of this penny that still has me thinking it may be real. Now, some of you folks have said its a novelty coin, and some have mention a texas cent. I have a hard time believing either one because, no one here can show me an example. I want to ask too, do they give the dyes away when thier done? Really stupid question aye. I know they dont. So how does someone make a identical copy but quarter size. This coin is pressed off the mint. The numbers, the letters are from the mint. Theres no denying it. If you stretch a 1945 penny no matter how good of metal person you are, you cant stop the letters from looking deformed and still see the folds on Lincolns coat like your looking at a regular penny. This penny Is Not flattened out. Im ready to hear some crazy explainations on this. Its not a fraud penny. If you think so then make one and show me please, so i can shut up. Thanks to everyone for your knowledge and time.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm leaning towards a novelty cent, but repeatedly hitting a coin between pieces of leather can do some interesting things (called a Texas Cent, since everything is bigger in Texas). As you learn the minting and die making processes, you'll easily understand why there is NO POSSIBLE WAY this could be done at the US mint

So for all practical purposes, if it wasn't done at the mint, it really doesn't matter how it was made IMO. It's PMD

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I have a 1909 VDB cent that is enlarged.
    20181126_081941.jpg 20181126_081904.jpg
    20181126_082022.jpg

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Texas cent.
    They are usually put between some leather and hammered to a large diameter.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What everyone else said. It's damaged. Welcome to CT.

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Think about it, for this to be an error the mint would have to somehow accidentally make dies that are too large? Then they would have to mount them in a press with a collar that was also too large and never notice? While it may be hard to imagine enlarging a coin, it is still more believable than the alternative!

JCro57 likes this.
  8. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

I understand what your saying my friend, but take a second and enlarge the image. Even the letters and numbers are exact to the mint. I hear you and respect you dearly for your opinions and advise. But i will throw anybody here on CoinTalk, a 10.00 bill if you have a texas cent or one of these stretched pennies the still looks like a perfect penny but size of a quarter. Because i am by no means a coin expert, but this old dog has common sense. I know to that if it was created at the mint, i know someone used a die they were'nt supposed to. But then again,shouldn't be a die for a penny but quarter size. Another clue is it is stamped on the copper center of a quarter. Someone show me the goods. Thanks folks

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's not possible for the coin to have left the mint like this. It has been altered. The images show that the coin to not even round any longer.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

If you walk yourself through the process of making hubs and dies, you’ll realize that making either of them for a Lincoln cent the size of a quarter is literally impossible.

Here’s a really great read on the process. Please note this would have had to happen at a minimum 4 times for a single cent to be made. You think someone at the mint made quarter size master hub and die, then a workin hub and die, and then only made one cent off of it? Sorry. That’s just impossible. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/what-is-a-coin-hub-768426

And @alurid already posted a Texas cent for you to see. Please PM him for the $10 you’ll be sending ;)

12. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

I dont see any of these so -called texas pennies side by side with a regular penny, so you can see how much its been stetched. Wats up. Cant anyone be for real here.

13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I think there are a lot of people being for real here. Did you read the article on what would be needed to make a one off oversize die? Why and how could this have happened? This would require input from every department of the mint to make these, as well as authorization from above before it could even happen. It would require plaster molds being made, master hubs, master dies, then working hubs and finally working dies. It just is not possible.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    frankjg and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Dude, you have been told by very knowledgeable, experienced, and CORRECT people on here what your coin is how it came to look that way.

There is a way for a coin to be 2-5 times its size yet some features still remain unchanged. They are called broadstrikes, but your coin is not one of them.

15. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

20190105_071700.jpg 20190105_071746.jpg 20181126_082022.jpg

16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Not the only way ether. 20181015_214057.jpg

JCro57 likes this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you don't want the truth, you picked the wrong place to ask. Folks have been making Texas cents for many years. They are nothing new.

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Almost fifty years ago I found a Spanish Cobb on the school playground.... Well, because we all know pirates frequented school playgrounds in Oklahoma..... I carried that prize for years just knowing in my heart it was the real deal. Of course it wasn’t. And no matter how many folks gently tried to tell me I was worshiping a cast copy, I wouldn’t hear of it....... Comes a time for all of us that we have to realize the truth that has been staring us in the face. I am sorry there is no possible way you could have a mint error. Look at the bright side. You have a killer conversation piece.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Seattlite86, LA_Geezer and frankjg like this.
  19. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Any chance these effects could be accomplished with faux leather?

Brina likes this.
  20. Badger Mint

Badger Mint Active Member

What does it weigh?

21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

If you look at the rim on the reverse, you will see that it has been flattened.

Draft saved Draft deleted