Error Pennies in $300 worth of cents

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Cherd, May 10, 2010.

1. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Hello,

In a previous post I stated that I had searched about $300 worth of pennies and found 2X 1994 DDR, 98 Wide AM, 2000 Wide AM, 1982 DDR, 1983 DDO, and an 88 with reverse of 89. Readers have subsequently questioned the possiblity of finding these pennies in $300 worth of cents and have asked that pictures be provided for verification (Just in case I was mistaken).

This is my first time posting pictures on this site, and also the first time I have really tried to take detailed pictures of coins. I hope they turn out well enough.

Here are the Wide AM pennies, they're pretty straight forward.

98-2.jpg 2000.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Here are the 94 DDR's (extra column). I tried to take close up shots by focusing the camera through a hand lens. It kinda worked, but the columns do not show up really well.

94Fronts.jpg
    94Backs.jpg
    94Close.jpg

4. Cherd

Here's the 88 with 89 reverse (Different font in the FG). Again, the close ups are not high quality, but hopefully you can still see enough detail.

88.jpg
    88Close.gif

5. Cherd

This is the 83 DDO. I am pretty sure that this one is legit. Doubling can be seen in Liberty and in IGWT.

83.jpg
    83Liberty.jpg
    83IGWT.jpg

6. Cherd

Finally, the 82 DDR. This one may be machine doubling. The effect can be seen in all the letters in "United States of", and each of the letters show the same shift in the same direction. However, the overall thickness of the letters does not necessarily seem affected. You be the judge (assuming that you can see anything in the pictures).

82.gif
    82Close.jpg

7. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Nice coins, and your pictures are pretty good. I don't have much experience taking pictures either but the few I have were not great...

They all look good, but not quite sure about the 1998 wide am. In my experience, the 1998 is tougher to see then the 2000, but with that pictures I just can't tell. Looking at the FG it looks a little too far way from the memorial, but that may be a picture quality thing.

Posted prior to the picture of the 82 DDR, I have no experience and do not feel comfortable commenting.

But all in all very nice coins, great finds!!!

8. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

9. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Some great finds from what I can see. I can't tell about the photo of the '88 and the '82ddr is definitely not the one known. For one thing yours is a large date '82 and the 82 ddr is a small date version. That's a nice '83 though and some nice WAMs.

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I have a hard time determining the 88 w/rev 89 when I have the coin in hand. Are there any other determining die marks other then the FG?

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Great Examples :)

12. fishaddicit

fishaddicit Senior Member

Very nice finds and descent pics to help. I will venture to say the 82 is not a DDR. But the rest are very nice. Congrats.

13. Cherd

Thanks guys,

I wish I could have put some better pics up here, most of the die variations in these coins are pretty apparent if you can get a good look at them. How do you guys go about imaging your coins?

I have only just started roll searching for penny variations, but I have been collecting wheat cents for a while. I was interested in creating a catalog of my coins in digital picture format.

I really do not want to spend many hundreds of dollars on a high quality camera and all of the equipment that would be involved. I was considering buying a photo scanner. In particular, I was looking at this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4945643&CatId=294

What do you guys think? Any advice or suggestions?

14. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

There are other markers. Here's a good link that shows them for the mid and later die stages.

http://www.varietyvista.com/1988PRDV0061 cent.htm

15. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Looks good to me...

16. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

The ones that I can tell for sure are :

2000 Wide AM....It is:)
    1994 DDR...at least one of the images definitely is
    The 1983 DDO, is one of the die varieties.

Ones that aren't include the 1982 cent. It is not a DDR.

One's I can't tell from the images...

The 1999 Wide AM.
    The 1989/1988 coin
    one of the 1994 cents.

All that being said. This guy is the luckiest guy on the planet unless someone rolled up a pile of cents that were die varieties and cashed them in:) What you found in $300 bucks worth of cents should have taken at least 100,000 cents worth of searching and probably more:)

My hat is off to you (if I wore one) :) Nice job and good eye!!

Bill O'

17. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I think their all legit,minus the last one.I cant see it well.Im on my 6th roll tonight.hopefully I will get as luck as you.

18. Cherd

I have actually found 2 98 WAM's. I didn't include the newest one in the original batch because it was not found in the original $300 worth of pennies. I was able to zoom in a bit closer on the pictures for a better look, here they are:

1.jpg

2.gif

I got 4 boxes each 2 weeks apart from a bank in walmart (One box had both WAMS in it and one box had both 94 DDR's in it), my brother gave me a box from his bank (It had the 83 DDO in it), I got 2 boxes while on vacation in florida (lot of wheat pennies in those), I found the 88 w/89 reverse in 4 rolls of pennies that the grocery store teller was willing to give me :thumb:.
    Jeez, I hope that I don't lose the motivation once reality sets in :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted