error or what?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sheila Ruley, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

20151208_114236_HDR-1.jpg On the 2004 Ioah quarter on the left window there is a spot. What is it?

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks like a small die chip.

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

That has to be the most creative way of spelling Iowa that I have ever seen.

micbraun, Markus1959 and Amos 811 like this.
  5. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

Oops my phone did that and I did not pay attention! Lol

tommyc03 and bdunnse like this.
  6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's not uncommon for a piece to break off of a die during use. There are some titanic forces involved - striking pressure is some 150 tons, and they run at least 150 strikes per minute. And when you contemplate the design complexity of a given die, it makes sense that there will be areas on the die where pressure is greater than others during the strike. It's why you see the insides of mint marks and letters break off so often.

So, yeah, I'm thinking this is one of those small failures, called a die chip. Larger versions are called "die breaks," although there's some argument in numismatics (no, we can't agree on what the words mean :) ) that a "die break" ought to be a development of a die crack.

7. Isaac Weitkuhn

Isaac Weitkuhn Active Member

8. Isaac Weitkuhn

Isaac Weitkuhn Active Member

show us the picture of the children and women

9. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

That die crack on the link you shared is only for silver proofs. Though I assume that there may be some on circulation strikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted