Error or victim of tragedy?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 74Teen, Mar 3, 2013.

1. 74Teen

74Teen Member

Digging through oneof the junk boxes at my LCS today, I came across a Jefferson nickel that looks like it was, uh, that it's been, I mean, sort of like, ummmmm, I don't know. The reverse has some of Monticello, but no real rim, as well as a couple of bubbles and what looks like some extra little pieces of metal stuck to it. Kind of reminds me of a race tire when you go off line on the cool down lap and pick up some of the 'marbles.'

The front is dated 1954, and has a 'negative' of what looks like 1959 impressed on it near the top of Jefferson's head. There's also a 'negative' of TRUST across the bottom rim as well as a 'negative' of LIBERTY about the same size and font as a Lincoln cent going straight up from the bottom of Jefferson.

I can't imagine how this damage would have occurred at the mint, but it's a really cool looking coin.

In my first attempt at taking coin pix, I pulled out the old Kodak and tried to take some shots. The ones that came out more or less in focus are way off on color, making the coin look copper.

Anyway, if anyone would like to take a look and let me know how they think this poor little nickel came to be so disfigured, I'd certainly appreciate it!!!

Odd Nickel 01.jpg Odd Nickel 02.jpg Odd Nickel Obv 0f.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

the incuse secondary letters are indicative of a smoosh job. another nickel was pressed onto this one. sorry. :( Keep your eyes peeled, and keep this as an example to compare to in the future. :thumb:

4. 74Teen

74Teen Member

Incuse! That's the word I was looking for! Thanks!

No need to be sorry, I didn't really think it was valuable error or something, just a cool coin that has had a rough life.

Looking at it closely, it almost looks like the Lincoln Memorial is raised on the obverse, as if Jefferson's head was struck over it.

Like I said, probably worth up to face value on a good day, but it sure is a blast to look at it and try to imagine the sequence of events that made it look the way it does...

5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

In a way it was: there could have been 3 nickels stacked, something heavy drops on them, bingo. secondary single use coin "dies" just like photo negatives

6. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Oh, it's a victim alright...

And a vice is the prime suspect. ;)

7. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

It is a shame that someone destroyed that 54 Jeff. Poor guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted