Error or PMD and why?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Razz, May 12, 2021.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I had not considered a die clash on the reverse! My goal was really to show folks an example of a coin that at first glance looks beat up and PMD on the reverse, but by knowing how coins are minted and identifying the atypical features to learn about true errors and why some coins can look beat up but be mint state when most of the time folks just say PMD, worth only a cent spend it. This may not have a premium, but I think it is a great example to learn from.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Just from your photos, I was ready to vote for a damaged planchet but then @CygnusCC put up the close-up photo showing damage on top of the device, so now I don't know.

CygnusCC likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That is weakness in the strike, It is the same as what you see in the steps. This is not a break of any kind.

CygnusCC likes this.
  5. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

Interesting, I see. I just figured the steps were post-mint damage, since it didn't look raised. It's actually hard to tell if either spot is raised from this angle.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The die was a little “past it,” it happens, they just touched it up some. It’s not a bad job, necessarily, in that these lines always show. If they’re raised, they’re presumptively just polish lines. You will often see other indications at the same time the die was failing to support the rationale.

Draft saved Draft deleted