"Error or Not"

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Richard Dye, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Richard Dye

Richard Dye Member

IMG_20220113_034233383.jpg View attachment 1427518 ] Hello Everyone,
    My brother pulled this from circulation an gave it to me. I get a little childish an excited over star notes an errors. Is this considered an error? Or A slight normal misprint. Besides being a star note. Thank you for any information on this an your opinion! IMG_20220113_034233383.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I’m not exactly sure what you’re seeing as an error. I see a well worn 1981 $1 Philadelphia replacement note with less than perfect centering, but well within BEP tolerances.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Richard Dye

Richard Dye Member

Well thank you for your reply! Is there a link for more information on what is within BEP tolerances?

5. SteveInTampa

Not that I know of. It’s something you get a feel for through experience.

Richard Dye and paddyman98 like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Richard Dye likes this.
  7. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

Is a reverse plate number that high normal?

8. SteveInTampa

On this series, yes. They go up as high as 3297 because the BEP continued using BPs from the previous series (1977A).

9. cashhound

cashhound Well-Known Member

in order for the note to be considered an ERROR the subject (printed area) needs to be cut off.

Richard Dye likes this.
  10. SteveInTampa

Correct !
    Here’s an example of one that is a minor error. If you look real close, you’ll see a sliver of the the note below this in the lower margin.

E2738602-AD5F-4D9A-8B9A-33B37588F3A4.jpeg

Paddy54 and Richard Dye like this.
  11. Richard Dye

Richard Dye Member

Thanks for your replies, an the valuable information that's been given.

12. Richard Dye

Richard Dye Member

IMG_20220113_051330227.jpg IMG_20220113_051330227.jpg IMG_20220113_051241759.jpg Does it matter if it's a star note, or can a regular note still be valuable, if it has three digits or less?

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Usually, the lower the serial number, the more collectible, and thus valuable, a note can be. Being a star note helps and a lot of collectors collect them. Of course with notes, condition is everything and your note is heavily circulated, so not that good.
    Check past sold notes with low serial numbers for an estimate of your notes value. I would certainly keep this one.

Richard Dye likes this.
  14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have no idea.. I've been collect coins and paper currency for 36 years just for fun and pleasure not for value.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted