Error or not?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

On the Vermont 2001 state quarters it is quite evident the man shown on the reverse is wearing a cap. On this one, TO ME, it appears his head is wrapped up in his scarves. I can see the bill of the cap but not the cap. Would this be an error or am I being too anal towards it? C1F68ED0-CF1E-46F8-9F0B-DFF1A8F9DB89.jpeg A1327B0A-5C09-4557-A12E-AE28A7BA431D.jpeg 59271884-A0ED-4E10-AFB3-5965758D62D6.jpeg A7C8807D-AFE7-4C9D-872E-C6BD2A0B9F62.jpeg 934611F3-86D3-4FD1-B31A-25D0D8F401A8.jpeg 520DA90F-7A72-4E46-9F4C-3206A969FC09.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Islander80-83 likes this.
  4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

The hits and circulation wear most likely damaged the image you're looking at. Keep it and compare it to others. Are you being too anal?.. Yep.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yup & yup

Clawcoins likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

On a PRISTINE example you can see the cap
    upload_2020-1-22_13-52-29.png

Your example, is nothing near PRISTINE.

Look at all the HITS, scraps and scratches it has taken all over the place both minor and major which detracts from perfect details. PLUS, add to that circulation wear which has taken away crisp details. PLUS, add to that as they mint they get die deterioration which affects very minute details first.
    upload_2020-1-22_13-52-56.png

here I attempt to identify many of those hits, scraps and scratches. Though, I did have to STOP as my computer started running out of yellow pixels so I didn't get much in the middle or left side.
    upload_2020-1-22_13-59-40.png

you can clearly see all the major scratches that go horizontal on the left tree and bucket from where I left off above.

think of how many times in 19 years this has going through coin counting machines. Every time you use it when it doesn't go back to someone else getting change (and thus in their pockets banging against other change) it goes to Brinks/Loomis which dump all the change into gigantic baskets which sends them through counters to rolls, which goes back to business .. back into the till or into ppls pockets and cycles all around.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Islander80-83 likes this.
  7. Islander80-83

8. Clawcoins

9. Treashunt

10. Treashunt

looks like a yellow snow storm.

remember: don't eat yellow snow

11. Islander80-83

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 2.35.39 PM.png

burnbitch-1.gif icon_smile_roflmao.gif

Clawcoins likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Come on guys! It's Vermont and it's cold. The guy went back inside and traded the cap for a scarf so he'd be a little warmer.

13. Chip Kirkpatrick

Admit it though. It does look more like a scarf over the cap. Admit it.

14. Chip Kirkpatrick

And yet we are able to accept additional leaves, limbs, rocks, sputum and all kinds of “wasn’t there stuff” as error coins, but a scarf is an impossibility.....

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yup

16. Clawcoins

it may look like an ushanka.

17. Clawcoins

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

How do erase and then modify an existing design element on a die? Add extra metal back to the die, re-engrave, and then heat treat it?

If you would have asked “could a die chip or other die damage cause the head to look like a scarf” would have been a reasonable question. When you asked if it could be a different design, the correct answer was “No, that can’t happen during the production process”.

Hope this explanation helps

19. Clawcoins

with a dremel tool, tungsten scribe, soldering iron, book of matches, water and a spittoon. :smuggrin:

Oldhoopster likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

They don't have power out in the boon docks.
    That's like saying duct tape is the fix for everything.

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What? It's not?

Draft saved Draft deleted