ERROR or NOT???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ddollard58, Nov 25, 2015.

1. ddollard58

ddollard58 Active Member

I got this in change the other day&was wondering if it is a mint error or just somebody playing around like trying a counter stamp or something like that.I do not know the "errors" that well.Any help as alway's will be greatly appreciated! HAPPY HUNTING;)!!! DSCI9359.JPG DSCI9361.JPG DSCI9369.JPG DSCI9373.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

post mint damage, probably from a nut driver with round circumference. You can see the indentations where it was held with a pliers or wire cutters or similar.

ddollard58 and tomfiggy like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the obverse has a ring-like depression surrounding Lincoln's face, and that depression has a corresponding raised ring on the reverse. If my guess is correct, then I think it is PMD and someone used a tool of some kind to create it. The indentations on the obverse and reverse rims could be part of that tool or they could have been made with a separate tool.

Chris

ddollard58 and swamp yankee like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All PMD. It looks like the coin was held with one tool and a socket was hammered onto the face causing the reverse to protrude.

ddollard58 and swamp yankee like this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Agreed , no way that could have happened at the mint . IMHO .

ddollard58 likes this.
  7. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Honistly looks really cool though!

ddollard58 likes this.
  8. ddollard58

ddollard58 Active Member

Thank you ALL!!! I to also thought the same BUT as i said i do NOT know my error's(unless obvious)so again THANK YOU&HAPPY HUNTING;)!!!

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted