Error note?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by efabe420, May 26, 2017.

1. efabe420

efabe420 New Member

Hello, I am just wondering if this off-center printed bill would be considered an error note and if it is worth more than face value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It would only be considered an error if the edge of the printing were off of the paper showing the edge of another note. Yours is not far enough off.

Michael K and paddyman98 like this.
  4. brentjgordon

brentjgordon New Member

im new on this forum but been collecting currency for 24 months and my first thought is no its not considered an error but...i also know that situation could change within the industry. i believe ive heard this question before and alot of people SEEMING to know more than i do him and haw about answering this question. ill just say it i keep margin errors because id feel real stupid if i didnt keep them and that situation changed. the real question is what today is considered enough of a margin error to be considered a collectible error which i think the fellow above stated before me (ive gotten different beliefs from different reputable people).

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with @rickmp, and will guess that error standards on cutting errors have been around a long, long time and I have doubt that they will ever change.

Even this is considered a minor error.

[​IMG]

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The answer from Rickmp above is correct. If you find the right buyer, you might get a few dollars above face for a wide margin. I have a few wide margin $1 notes in CU condition set aside, but I only have $1 into each one and understand that they will be difficult to sell at a profit in the future. Still nice finds, but generally not considered an error.

If you look at certified, high grade notes, the margins that are not centered can REDUCE the value of a note.

If you're still not sure that the info on CT is helpful, go through the ebay sold listings to determine if there is a demand for this type of note and what kind of premiums they bring.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The wider the margin the better.
    Economically it's probably not worth holding out $100 for 20 years, to end up spending it at face value.
    But please show any pictures of interesting notes you have. We love that stuff.

8. brentjgordon

brentjgordon New Member

im fairly new at this stuff and probably have been listening to the wrong people...i guess what my thought process was looking at the progression of collecting in historic fashion. im not sure but new errors are being discoved now and then and i also imagine there was a point in time when people didnt even know what error coins were in numismatic infancy. i am the the first guy to say ive been wrong before and i probably will be again. but that is one reason i joined the forum was to learn facts not opinions and i appreciate any guidance that i can get as it just helps me to progress in this hobby....

Draft saved Draft deleted