Error Commemorative Coin 5 Piasters UNICEF

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by pragmatic, Jun 24, 2017.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

This is a 1972 UNICEF commemorative coin
    face value 5 qurush (piasters) قروش
    reverse top arabic republic of egypt جمهورية مصر العربية gomhuriyyet masr al arabiyya.
    obverse mother carrying a child, Unicef in arabic يونيسيف
    the leaves probably wheat?
    the error is easy to find :)
    20170617_132504.jpg 20170617_132518.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

What is the error?

4. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

@steve.e you might want your vision checked. The "unicef" in english is misspelled as "unicfe"

pragmatic likes this.
  5. pragmatic

@steve.e lol:D. it was the easiest pit of the coin to understand least to say:watching:
    500k pieces produced and then the majority were withdrawn and destroyed after the mistake was discovered. well, at least UNICEF didn't make a fuss :nurse:

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool. I love when the error is actually in the design of the coin! I'll need to get me one of these. Here's the only one I have off the top of my head, where the design is the actual error (ignoring the rotation error, and the DDO of course).
    Medi Boliviano-horz.jpg

7. pragmatic

@Seattlite86 is the circle on the obverse a mirror or a magnifying lens. I can see inside the circle, illuminated sun, some mammal probably a goat (?) and a pyramid shape. if it is a pyramid with a sun on top it is something something

8. Seattlite86

The circle is actually a shield from their coat of arms. The animal is an alpaca (national animal) and the tree is a palm tree (I admit I googled this). The error, if it isn't quite clear, is that it says "Medio Boliviano" but then the value is "20 Centavos" 20 cents is not half a Bolivar, that would be 50 cents.

pragmatic likes this.
  9. pragmatic

the alpaca looks like a hybrid animal, it looks like a mixture of camel, goat, sheep and lama))
    when this coin was in circulation in such case was it of 50 cents or 20 cents value? tricky, ain't it?:woot:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Well, as it turned out, the coin is actually a pattern coin and should not have made it to circulation. I'm truthfully not even sure how I came across it. I think it wound up in a bunch of bulk world coins I purchased and sorted.
    Medio Boliviano 1902.JPG

pragmatic likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted