Error Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dick Coss, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Dick Coss

Dick Coss New Member

Is there a certain place that error coins can be sent to be verified, appraised and slabbed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Forget PCGS. They're up to $55 per coin for US Mint Error's.

http://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees/

DoH! Scratch that last thought.

$60 per coin for US Mint Error's. Actually, $60 + $10 handling fee + $19.95 "MINIMUM" Return Postage Fee. And sometimes, they don't get them right BUT, they keep your $60 anyway. Or should (I say they keep your $89.95 anyway!

PCGS obviously does not want to be bothered with US Mint error's of a minor nature. All they really want to do is grrrrr-ind the grades through the mills and continue to raise their prices to keep their freaking stock prices up.............GRRR.

Or so it seems.

OP..........Go with ANACS.

tommyc03, ldhair and Markus1959 like this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

But before you send your error coins off to be graded and slabbed.
    Put pictures of the coins you will be sending in on Coin Talk to get opinions if it is actually worth your while.

tomfiggy and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Does CONECA have an official grading service? I seem to remember a time when ICG was.

7. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Most of the newly found errors live in ANACS holders. Not sure if it's official but that's my casual observation.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Quite a few years ago, one of the NGC forum members started a thread about some of the crazy things that ICG would certify. It was hilarious! He would submit items thinking, "They wouldn't possibly accept this." but they did.

My point is, they may accept your errors, but that doesn't mean they're worth it.

Chris

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sign up at ANAC's web site and you will receive all their special offers via email. Best to wait a bit and get your best deal from them.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That was the single funniest thread I've ever read at a numismatic forum. :)

jester3681 likes this.
  11. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Links?

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And
    And probably why ICG fell to the end of the list of TPG's. It's hard to make a comeback once this happens. Maybe that's what happened when Toyota had a huge recall years ago...sent them all to the terrorists, hah!

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Dave, I know I posted a link to it on one of the CT forums not too long ago, but I can't for the life of me remember the details. Do you?

Chris

jester3681 likes this.
  14. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Coneca attributes coins. On their website they will list who is doing it. I am sending my hopeful doubled die's to Mike Ellis of Coneca. They charge $4.00 per coin if you are a Coneca member, a little more if you are not, plus return shipping and any insurance you want. Membership is $25.00 per year and you get "Errorscope" magazine.
    For minor errors or Questionable "new finds" it's a lot cheaper than a grading service. After they attribute it l would send it to ANACS if it's real.

longnine009 likes this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I mistakenly posted in this thread...

Draft saved Draft deleted