Error coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Larry Stuckey, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

89 quarter D mint ,weight 5.1 gram .missing entire reeded edgy ,no edge at all any information would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Larry, your photos are too blurry and confusing to be able to draw much information from. Do you have two quarters with no reeding, or is that photo just too blurry to see them?
    In any case, most coins that are supposed to have reeding, but don't, are just damaged after they left the mint. Some are purposely damaged, like "spooning," or damage from being in equipment or machines, like a dryer coin.
    NAV, no added value and now not even collectible. Keep on looking.

71Avalon and Kentucky like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Get rid of the metal tweezers. Big no no in handling of coins.

Cheech9712 and 71Avalon like this.
  5. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

6. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

calling on mountain man,on this quarter their is no reeded edge to spoon,no signs of damage,below the required weight 5.67 grams,lack the clads layers ,weight 5.1 gram ,in hand can see the copper core ,I appreciate the information patty thanks.is this coin considers a mint error.

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The photos are - politely - useless and blurry...

If the weight is low, it's possible it was trimmed down on a lathe.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Coin operated machines were made for coins only bad thing they destroye the reeding

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

Their is no damage,maybe better photo

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

Basically I think what I have is a incomplete plantchet ,machine can not just remove the complete reeded edge without damage,no damage on this quarter,and no signs of trimming

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Wrong

The reeded edge is applied by the collar at the time of striking the coin. Often called the 3rd side or 3rd edge.

If there is no collar, the coin is LARGER, called broadstruck.

If the planchet were from a smaller denomination coin, it would match the weight. Also, a dime, being SIGINIFICANTLY smaller would have only a partial design.

The quarter was normal when it left the mint and was damaged afterwards.

PMD

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Simple circulation will wear the reeded edge. Circulation will also wear the surfaces and remove weight.
    It really is impossible to tell from your photos what happened with the coin.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

is this a better photo

14. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

is this a better photo
    would it be possible for circulation to wear the collar completely away,I can see,and I will repeat,i can view the copper core all the way around this quarter,and it smaller

15. Pickin and Grinin

The collar is the device that creates the reeded edge when the coin was struck. Yes as the coin is used the reeds wear and are removed/flattened as the coin circulates.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

The u.s.mint make mistakes,that why their are errors coin

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

How long have you been collecting and studying mint errors?

There are plenty of ways a reeded edge can become damaged/altered after it leaves the mint.

And if you wonder how many years I've been studying and collecting errors.. The answer is 37 years.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. paddyman98

But not everything that looks different, strange or weird is automatically a mint error.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. Pickin and Grinin

Sorry Larry this is not an error and flattened reeding is very common.

@Burton Strauss III posted the above, and it isn't any of those type errors.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sorry but that not a mint error. It’s damaged and this year CT has already had a number of posts regarding no feeding on the edge.

21. Larry Stuckey

Larry Stuckey Member

I would agree with maybe broadstruck ,but to be able to view the copper core all the way around and the weight 5.1gram .my acessment would be it never was struck with reeded edge,no evidence of spooning,no flattering,reeded edge completely missing,D.mint mark witch support maybe broadstruck ,no damage whatsoever to the coin?

Draft saved Draft deleted