Error Coin Quarter, Penny. Or just Junk ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Genia Barnfather, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Genia Barnfather

Genia Barnfather New Member

Hi. Very new here and also new to Coins. This is my second question post. I have been going through all my coins and making books for my 3 grandchildren. I have been looking over my saved coins for errors before I put them in the books. I would want to put any errors aside for the grandchildren. I found these two coins that look to be errors.
    #1. the quarter Date ? has most of the face off. I'm not sure if it was made this way or someone rubbed it off.
    #2. The penny 2000 date. edge is missing or broken . the break is smooth, the copper looks to be nicely coated on the break, smooth and even covered.

I would appreciated any help as to if you think they are errors, and if so what might the value of coins be ?

Maybe just junk ?

I do plan to find a coin person in the Connecticut area but I would rather have some knowledge of the coins before I go.
    Thank
    Genia

IMG_8088.JPG IMG_8092.JPG IMG_8089.JPG IMG_8095.JPG IMG_8098.JPG IMG_8099.JPG IMG_8103.JPG IMG_8122.JPG IMG_8115.JPG IMG_8119.JPG

TJ1952 and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, the quarter is damaged. It looks like it's been machined in some way.

The penny looks like a clipped planchet, a legitimate mint error, but not worth very much over face value.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto!

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Genia Barnfather

Thanks so much for taking time to help me and a quick answer. I will put the penny aside. I showed the quarter to my husband and he also said it look like something someone did. ( He is not a coin person either )
    But I thought I would ask, cause you never know.

6. Genia Barnfather

Thanks

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you are ever in the Westport area of Ct. look up Sam Sloat Coins, very large store, very nice people.

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Very cool clip on the cent, neat error! :)

Amos 811 and Genia Barnfather like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And for someone new to coins, kudos to you for holding them correctly.:):):)

Amos 811 and Genia Barnfather like this.
  10. Genia Barnfather

Hi Tom. Thanks for the info. I'm in Stamford CT, so I will defiantly stop by Westport store.
    Surprisingly I am doing well at filling the books for the grandchildren with just the coins I have. At some point I will have to buy the older/sliver coins that are missing. I Just want to learn a lot more about coins before I start buying.

If you look on Ebay every coin is an error ? and all are valuable ? I want to educate myself more, I just hope I can do so before the kids are grown LOL

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You are doing a great thing for the grandchildren. Too may of them are buried in their cell phones and tablets these days. You should do fine with Lincoln cents from circulation from 1960 on as their are still plenty of them in circulation. I order a full box of 2,500 coins from my bank once a month. It's the easiest way to fill out a cent album quickly. Nickels are getting tougher to find in the earlier years. And never be to proud to ask a dealer if they have a junk box you can look at. I've read some pretty good stories here about people finding some great varieties from the 1800's, like re-punched dates on Shield Nickels and Indian Cents. "Knowledge is power" as the saying goes.

Genia Barnfather likes this.
  12. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Nice eye for detail. Your moving in the right direction.

13. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

14. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Why waste time, when this site is filled with friendly, knowledgeable folks waiting to be helpful?

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No idea what is going on with that quarter but maybe a nice, large, overhead, dead on shot might help.

16. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I agree your holding your coins correctly but watch about using metal tweezers cause they can possibly scratch the coin and devalue them. Nice find on the clip,most people would dismiss that as a damaged coin and spend it.

17. Genia Barnfather

I a
    I agree about kids today, it's a different world. My father gave our son his first coin books. He loved them until he was old enough to find girls LOL He still has the coin books but I don't know if they bring him the joy they did when he was little. I'm hoping that when the grandchildren are old enough they will enjoy coins with our son/their father. It's a great hobby and lots of history in coins. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. Genia Barnfather

I'll try again tomorrow with better lighting

19. Genia Barnfather

Thanks, My eyes hurt from using the loop. I don't know how you guys look over boxes and boxes of coins.

20. Genia Barnfather

Hi. Thanks for the information and web sites. I wish that the qurater could be a real error, I'm not sure how to tell ? I'll keep looking and maybe take it to a coin person.

21. Genia Barnfather

Hi Eric. I didn't think about the metal tweezers, I'll have to find a plastic one. I'm looking very closely at all the coins I have saved while I'm filling coin books for my grandchildren. I have a lot of coins! I'm not sure about double die punch marks ? I know I would be able to see the real obvious ones, but I have found some that are just a few letters and can only been seen with a loop ?
    I'm a work in progress :)

eric6794 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted