Error coin or inexperienced high hopes?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Matthew Peak, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

2016 Harper's Ferry. What kind of doubling is this? Screenshot_2016-09-25-21-11-40.png Capture+_2016-09-25-21-11-08.png Capture+_2016-09-25-21-08-39.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That looks darn good, with the notching and all. Wait and see what the "experts" say.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

I would very much like to learn more about this and what makes the difference between valuable doubling and worthless doubling. Its nearly impossible to see in photos, but the faint 2 and other faint numbers have texture. They are raised off of the field. Not to the height of the primary numbers, but about half way. What feature, or features does hub doubling offer? Ive read about every article on this topic I could find & looked at hundreds of pitures and still have difficulty distinguishing the difference. Thank you for your previous response and I hope you'll take a few more minutes to help a young coin collector learn a little.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

To be honest, I have posted a few that were more offset than yours, I was referred to another page that was written by an expert. The doubling to the south of all the numbers is what is catching my eye. You should post clear pic of both the obv and rev. though it could be more md.

7. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Attached Files:

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

9. the_girls

the_girls New Member

10. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

The date on the new ATB quarters are incuse, which causes some confusion on doubling. I've posted some of the same and sent one off to be attributed, only to learn that it's MD. Here is a good description of the issue from Wexler. The incuse part is near the bottom of the page.
    http://doubleddie.com/144822.html

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

12. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

I feel like an idiot asking, but does incuse mean concave, convex, or flat? I looked at several definitions online and one says one thing and another, the opposite. Wexler doesn't explain it. So I guess its one of those simple things people usually know. But, (That's why I feel like an idiot for asking) you never know til you ask.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Never hurts to ask questions, that's how we learn. An incuse item on a coin is 'indented' in the coin. Most detail on a coin sticks up from the field around it. If you look at a date on the new America The Beautiful quarter the date is sunk into the coin, not sticking up. The same goes for the state name, EPU, and park name around the edge on the reverse of the coin.

Matthew Peak likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

There's an old saying along the lines of "the only dumb question is one not asked". While not completely true - let's face it, a lot of pitifully dumb questions are asked countless times a day - it is for this hobby, which is plagued by ignorance and the reluctance to learn. If a question is asked sincerely and someone takes offense or views you as an "idiot" for asking, they're not worth your time and is as simple as that.

That said, and to add to the other gentleman's response: think of Pratt's "Indian" gold designs... they're considered to be "incuse relief" as opposed to being "struck up" as most US coins are. If not familiar, please do check them out to see what I mean.

Insider, Matthew Peak and Kentucky like this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It might be easier for you to remember.......

"raised" - above the field

"recessed" - below the field

Chris

16. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Can a true doubled die be incused? Or are all genuine ones "raised?"

17. BooksB4Coins

I assume you're asking about "normal" types and not those with an incuse design (such as those I mentioned earlier)? If so, and if I understand you correctly, no...

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It depends on whether the device is raised or recessed on the coin. For example, there are plenty of Morgan dollars that have parts of "LIBERTY" doubled. Take a look, and you will see that LIBERTY is recessed in the headband.

Chris

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, there are a few Indian gold coins w/incuse (recessed, sunk into the surface) designs that are struck w/doubled dies. AFAIK, they are unlisted, unappreciated, and very minor. That's why I neglected to record any of them when I just looked in my files. :( I know I have some micrographs somewhere but too disorganized to look for one. So until I post proof, believe what you wish.

They can be identified in the same basic way as normal doubled dies found on coins with raised relief. Looking at the letters there is a "notch" at the tips only it appears as recessed into the coin.

20. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Thank you all very much for your time. Most helpful, to say the least. Learned quite a bit throught this thread.

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Much of the material you might access on doubled dies refers to the classic die production with more than one hubbing in the process to make the die. Modern techniques use a single squeeze which should only produce 1 image and no type of rotational doubled dies. However many consider any movement of such die that produces a doubled image due to design or mechanical movement to be a true DD, that is why there are so many listed ( modern). I consider them result of a flawed design or mechanical setup and , ..well I will stop there.

Draft saved Draft deleted