Error $20 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ric976, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ric976

ric976 Junior Member

Error $20 Bill - Missing Serial and Seal

This is a 20 dollar bill I got a few days ago with the serial number and seal missing from the left hand side, the bottom left corner cut off, and has some extra paper on the top left edge. On the back there is part of the missing serial number and seal. My running theory is that it was printed and cut while the bill was folded, creating the missing corner and the serial and seal on the back. If anyone can tell me anything else about it (worth anything?) it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Front:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/ric976/DSC00339.jpg

Back:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/ric976/DSC00340.jpg

Folded:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/ric976/DSC00341.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

4. sumorada

sumorada Senior Member

cool bill, congrats..........let me know if it goes up for sale! i like it!:kewl:

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

That is a great error Note! There is probably no way of knowing what it would bring until you put it up for auction on eBay. I don't think i have seen one quite like it and since it may be unique so will be the fetching price!

Frank

6. ric976

ric976 Junior Member

These are some very encouraging comments!

7. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I've consulted an expert. Will get back to you when he does to me.

8. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Did you unfold it? That decreases the value.

9. ric976

ric976 Junior Member

It looks exactly like it does in the first picture when I found it.

10. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

At least you posted a picture.

It's nice to see that these errors can still be found in circulation. Usually they don't make it past the first teller that opened the bundle.

That's a sweet error note.

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Oh My Gosh, you found a doozy!!!! That is probably one of the best errors I have ever seen found in circ!!!

12. clembo

Well it seems the expert has a similar note.
    What I 'm really trying to figure out is how this happened.
    No answer on that yet.

13. Coinlover

i was up at the flea market visiting my coin dealer and saw a 1988A $20 bill with no serial number, or no frb seal. when you flipped it over, the serial number and frb seal was on back in the exact spot where it should of been on front. it was CU. he said some guy brought it in with another one in sequal order. he gave him $150 apiece. he was telling me if that guy would have gotton more $20's out of that atm, he would have the whole strap since they were in sequal order coming out of the strap. but he didn't, and now there are 28 more 1988A $20 bills floating around in sequal order with that error. he was selling them both for $300 apiece.

14. clembo

Probably not I think.
    It's an odd error and DOES get caught by the BEP. A few sliding by is cool but the chances of 30 consecutive is EXTREMELY remote.

15. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

The sheet for OP's note got folded up after the second printing. It remained folded during the overprint and cutting, was bundled up with 99 other notes, was shipped out as such and believe it or not, some teller/ATM issued the note and whoever received it, spent it at face value.

16. ric976

ric976 Junior Member

Wow, its amazing you can find out all that information. It must of gone through the bank a second time because thats where I got it.

17. Coinlover

i just don't understand how someone could spend a bill with an obvious error.:goofer:

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

because:
    1) they don't look, or
    2) they don't care.

19. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Most error notes only require a percursory understanding of how the note is made to figure out how the error occured.

If you log onto your library's website and do a keyword search for US Error Notes (search all libraries, not just your local one, and use your free interlibrary loan service to borrow the book), you should at least find a book by Frederick J. Bart or Stephen M. Sullivan, either one is a good read on how paper money is made and how various error notes occur. Both are outdated, but the information is still valid.

20. see323

see323 Emperor Five Collection

nice error...

Draft saved Draft deleted