Error 1977 Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avoozl, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Avoozl

Avoozl New Member

I just found my first error coin, and curious if its worth any thing?

sorry no photo's as I don't have a digi cam, I searched the net for photo's of a similar error but haven't found one.. but will try to describe it best I can

Its a 1977 American Penny, mint error on the reverse side at the bottom of the coin just under the portrait (left side) there is a glob of extra metal (same metal and color as the coin) looks as if extra leaked as the rest of the coin looks to be fine. It goes from the edge of the coin filling the rim and just touching the portrait, length of the glob is just under half the length of the bottom of the portrait

Closest thing I have seen to this is the Canadian twoonie were the gold center leaked like a broken egg yoke and ran across the coin to the edge.. unfortunately was an auction I seen some time back and haven't found to get a copy of that photo.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

There is no "portrait" on the reverse. However, if there is a blob of metal extending in from the rim, then there's a strong possibility that you have a "cud" (a type of die break).

4. Avoozl

Avoozl New Member

Thanks, I was looking up cud errors so far only ones of those I found are more like spots, small globs over the coin.. One I have is larger and smooth, but still searching

If I find a photo of something close to it will post it

Also sorry what I meant by portrait is the picture of Lincoln on the reverse side.. what is it supposed to be called?

5. mikediamond

The term "cud" is often misused. A cud is a die break that involves the rim and at least a little bit of the field. If a die break is simply a small lump some distance from the rim, then it is a "die chip". That's probably what you were looking at.

6. Avoozl

Avoozl New Member

ahh great, makes more sense.. thanks again

7. mikediamond

Since you identify the small statue of Lincoln sitting in the middle of the Memorial as the "portrait" of your earlier description, it's unlikely you have a cud. If it is a cud, then it will have carried off half the die face. Perhaps you've got a die crack. Or perhaps it's a die crack with a few die chips arranged along the path of the crack. Unfortunately, your description is not very clear and we're handicapped by the lack of a photo.

8. Avoozl

Avoozl New Member

Ahh sorry for any confusion, I thought the side with the memorial & that says one cent, was the front of the coin.. and the back has the date.. That's how our coins are here in Canada.. figured be the same

9. mikediamond

Yes, that would cause confusion, your reverse being our obverse and vice versa. What you're describing sounds exactly like a "base-of-bust cud". The area beneath Lincoln's bust is a very common place for piece of die steel to break off, creating the "cud".

10. Avoozl

Avoozl New Member

There we go, now I at least know exactly what I have :) since common doubt really worth any thing, but its a nice addition to my collection as my first error coin :)

11. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum Avoozl :)

I agree with your last comment whole heartedly. There are many common errors that can be found in pocket change and such that aren't worth much, but its always fun finding them. My first error was a filled die 2000 US dime....so that it looks like its year 200. Not worth much to others, but it got me back into coin collecting so it has earned its perminant spot in my collection :)

12. maria Bauer

maria Bauer New Member

I found a 197 Pennie don't see the other number and on the top part for in Gad we trust is missing (ust). is there Anny value in this Pennie.

Draft saved Draft deleted