EROTIC SPINTRIA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by wossip, Feb 12, 2018.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Threads involving a discussion of the forum rules are not locked. Nor are threads involving criticism or disagreement with the forum rules.

Ya see paddy, we don't ask anybody to agree with the forum rules and we don't ask anybody to like the forum rules. But we do demand that everybody follow them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You are free to walk away at any time, just like you were free to walk in here. And yes, our country is a democracy. This forum however is not. This forum is a private entity, one with rules. And when you registered here and became a member you agreed to abide by those rules - just like every other member does. You did not agree to only obey the rules you liked and agreed with - you agreed to obey all of them !

Johnnie Black, Kentucky and CoinCorgi like this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Wow, good to know. It's like they just don't exist... I'll go back to the Ginger or Mary Ann thread... :)

Volodya likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..if your country's the US, its a republic...

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..is that a Gilligans Isle reference?!?..:p

7. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

The token looks fake to me anyway. Can't think of any other Roman coin or token with an oval frame and a reverse like that. And it's not related, other than by the scene depicted, to the erotic spintriae series as those almost always have numbers on the reverse.

TheRed, dougsmit, Oldhoopster and 5 others like this.
  8. Zed McJack

Zed McJack New Member

...and if its not allowed to be linked then its not allowed to be thought about either... I guess...

ancientcoinguru and Volodya like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One of the very first posts I made here 6 years ago was something like this and I got repremanded. Is it REALLY such a chore not to do this??? Chose your battles wisely.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I'm really surprised this thread has gone on as long as it has. It really shouldn't have. Re-read all the above and you may glean some information, but alas, some seem to think that they have control where they do not. Dont kid yourselves, you are not in control, you never have been and will not be. That is how it is, and always will be here in CT. Its in the Terms of Agreement. Get with it.

Now...I am certainly no prude. Never have been nor will be. I am not offended by the item in question. HOWEVER, I do have a young daughter in the house. I am on CT each day, and I view it on my desktop (a large format monitor) in my living room, where my daughter is often looking at what I am doing. So....no big surprise, I dont want explain to an 11 year old just what is going on in 'that picture'.

No, I dont want it for that reason. But, if it were still there I would hope that the thread topic would mention something about it and that I could read it 'after hours'.

Oh, and BTW, it would appear that this whole thing was just an advertising ploy anyway. Did we all just fall into a spammers web? Well, some of us did.

paddyman98 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I couldn't resist going off and finding an image of the coin.

It's been a long time, but my memories aren't that fuzzy -- if I'd seen that image as an 11-year-old, or even a hormone-addled 15-year-old, I don't think it would have registered at all. It's recognizable if you know what you're looking for; otherwise, it looks to me like a rather crude but generic image of two people, with some extra blobs here and there.

I really wish our society didn't lose its collective cool over depictions like this, while glorifying and popularizing images of violence and suffering. But it is what it is, I don't expect to see substantial change in my remaining lifetime, and I certainly don't want to waste my time or the mods' campaigning about it here.

Meanwhile, I agree that it looks like the OP had an agenda, and he really wasn't getting the message. Well, bye.

Volodya likes this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My wife hypothesized the whole mess of this thread was done on purpose to either increase the interest in something the OP had for sale or more likely just to cause the uproar on CT that it did. if so, then the poster was successful.

paddyman98 and Pellinore like this.
  13. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I have precisely both in my house (those exact ages, girl and boy). My son I could uncomfortably laugh it off. My daughter, no, I am not gong to go there. Not even slightly. So, I applaud the moderators.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  14. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Ohh I’m late to the party! Can someone please privately msg me a link to the coin in question?

15. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

16. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I’ve seen it now. I have no idea what the fuss is about, but rules are rules I guess.

17. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Can't agree more. These tokens are almost always forgeries. The one shown was a fake without any doubt.
    There are reproductions from the salacious 16th century, from the Victorian 19th century and from modern times too - thousands of them. The originals were made during only a short time in the first century, not many survived the teeth of time since.
    There's an excellent article by Geoffrey Fishburn (free to download at Scribd) summing up various theories on spintriae. I would advise those with a scientific interest in this matter, to read it.

TypeCoin971793 and Alegandron like this.
  18. Macromius

Macromius Well-Known Member

After reading this excruciating thread I thought, oh shucks, that kills off my idea for a "Antinous' Cuirass" post.

GregH likes this.
  19. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do a lot of things in this auction look ‘too good to be true?’

Draft saved Draft deleted