EROTIC SPINTRIA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by wossip, Feb 12, 2018.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It's not even that simple. Recently a member I know was banned with no explanation after a single post. Even the moderators admitted he didn't actually violate any rules but somehow offended the administrator.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Zed McJack, Volodya and Ryro like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

OK. Maybe what I should have said was 'follow the concept of dictatorship'. I have seen where posts were edited and reasons given, but they were in conflict with what goes on every day elsewhere and with others. I cant explain it, but I just live with it. I like this place so I accept how it works. I may not agree entirely, but its still worth being here and trading ideas and information.

Carl Wilmont, Alegandron, TIF and 2 others like this.
  4. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Wow. I hadn't seen that thread; it's really very telling isn't it?

red_spork likes this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Speaking both from experience and observing other people’s experiences, exposure to sexual material at an early age (teenage and before) can severely corrupt a person’s perspectives and decision-making because their minds are very curious and unaware of the implications. Luckily for me, I was aware of the implications before I could do anything stupid. Many are not so fortunate. I back any attempt to censor this kind of material on a public forum.

Death is cool. :cool:

DBD9160F-6FFB-46A7-AE36-012222EC264B.jpeg

6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The biggest problem with trying to censor it on a numismatic forum is that it's an inseparable part of ancient numismatics. Any of the ancient coin shows being discussed here are going to have silver from Thasos that will violate these rules and most of the auction houses we regularly discuss and link to will have sold such coins as well and most of the big ones have sold Spintriae of the type that the OP of this thread shared. Additionally, you'll find such coins on many of the reference websites we cite and the books on such coins. Should we also not discuss those books and websites lest someone find something that might offend them?

It's just the reality of ancient numismatics and ancient art in general.

Volodya, Eduard and Ryro like this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Fair. I guess what I was getting at was the level of the explicit nature on the token. I did see it before it was removed.

At the British museum, there were many nude figures on display, but I cannot recall seeing anything that can be described as overly erotic. That seemed to be the case for nearly every museum I have visited. The Cologne museum was a different story, but those objects (ancient pottry lamps) were tucked in a corner at the back of the museum among hundreds of other lamps on display.

The corner in question is by the ceiling light. And the cases to the right do contain coins. :)

40197A03-7008-43AF-AB26-E2966D4EA173.jpeg

RAGNAROK likes this.
  8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

"You know it when you see it..." as long as it refers to same-sex sexual interaction. You blithely turn a blind eye however to other topics at least equally offensive to other portions of the CT membership. As a Jew, there is surely nothing in the entire numismatic universe that offends and upsets me as deeply as do the coins of the Nazis, yet discussion and illustration of the numismatic legacy of the Third Reich is permitted here, as of course it absolutely should be.

Phil Davis

ab initio, -jeffB, RAGNAROK and 6 others like this.
  9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Do a web search of the thread title, click 'images' and you can see sexy old coins to your heart's content - have to agree with the moderator - this is an all ages forum and not all coin images are suitable viewing for all ages :cyclops:

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Yet apparently coins graphically depicting violence and rape are "suitable viewing for all ages, " as long as it's a male assaulting a female anyway. The real agenda here is crystal clear to anyone paying attention, disingenuous protestations "will no one think of the children!" notwithstanding.

12. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

There are other coin forums, and I am taking an active part in them, that have another style. Cointalk is like this, and the others are different. No problem to partake in various forums. A pro of Cointalk is: answers are fast, honest and direct. A contra is that attention evaporates fast, threads rarely last long. Well - so be it.
    Sometimes I go elsewhere, and then I'm back again for some more cointalk.

ancientone and Ryro like this.
  13. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

It was a "winged male" + a female on the OP coin.

[​IMG]
    We should also be careful about coins like this one, i showed this coin to my nephew Timmy and the next thing you know, he was out murdering barbarians in the neighborhood.

But eventually i guess someone else must have seen this coin and speared Timmy and managed to save the neighborhood, so i guess it all worked out in the end.

paeonia tet.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Noah Worke, GregH, TheRed and 5 others like this.
  14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Are there any other forums that you would recommend for a newer lover of the ancients? I would really like to check some out! (Hopefully I'm not banned for using the word "lover";))

15. Odomax

Odomax Member

Just ban the arguementive edited show him the power. He is like a kid that won't take no for an answer. In my house I am the King.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Eww... "edited" is a microaggression. Hope they don't ban the "king" as well for that one. Then he would have to crawl back to his lil castle:yack:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Just my point of view: there is no better forum out there (at least none that I've found). Some may remember when we had the great migration from another forum, where Stevex6 and I were both banned. Steve for a similar violation to the one currently under discussion, and me for supporting Steve. I'm glad for the ban on the other forum only because I found this forum which is far superior imho.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I thought I made it clear. It doesn't matter if ANY finds ANYTHING offensive. It doesn't even matter if I personally find it offensive. The one and only thing that matters is if I think it should be posted on this forum or not.

When people continue to argue about what they are being told regarding the forum rules - apparently sometimes it is necessary to be what you define as being rude just to get your point across.

Me, I call it being blunt and straightforward. Normally I try and say things in, even if not a nice way, at least a polite and respectful way. But when that doesn't work - you can bet I'll say it just like I did this time.

Short and sweet, CT policy has always been if you don't like the rules, tough, and you are welcome to leave any time any time you wish.

And if you think I'm bad, try dealing with Peter because he's much tougher on the subject than I am !

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

It's fascinating that you decline to define or describe what is or isn't "appropriate" here, beyond the non-answer "I know it when I see it."

Phil Davis

ab initio, red_spork and Jay GT4 like this.
  20. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I've been reading all the posts and I get both sides. Understanding that the mores of the ancient world are not the same as today is certainly important in understanding ancient coins. Conversely, showing certain graphic images which may be seen by younger readers is not appropriate. My many years as an engineer for the services has kind of taught me one thing, when the head guy says no don't argue. The owners of the site have to use caution in these matters and they made their decision and I respect that. And personally, I'm not sure I would not have done the same thing. It's a tough call though.

Ryro likes this.
  21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I agree with @Volodya that if the mods were being discriminatory or homophobic, that wouldn't be acceptable. But I found the coin, and for what it's worth, I don't think that's the case here. The coin is described as heterosexual (as @arnoldoe pointed out). It's also the most explicit depiction I've seen on the board. So removing it is consistent with drawing the line at a certain level of explicitness, which I think is fine. It also means we can still post phalluses holding fruit bowls! (Not to name any names...)

Thanks both to the mods for doing a thankless job as well as possible, and to @Volodya for sticking up for non-discrimination. And I hope very much you'll stick around, we'd all be the poorer for not seeing your jaw-droppingly wonderful coins. :wideyed:

Draft saved Draft deleted