Eric P Newman passed away

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by techwriter, Nov 16, 2017.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports:

ERIC PFEIFFER NEWMAN died Wednesday, November 15, 2017, at his home in Clayton at the age of 106.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Show of hands - who has pieces with the Newman provenance? I do, but I didn't know they did until I got them.

techwriter likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I have 4 books signed by him

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have a few pieces that I bought at auction. The guy built a great collection.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

I am genuinely envious. Signed books are cool.

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A true collector and a big loss for the Numismatic community.

I agree with @V. Kurt Bellman , signed books are really cool. And I’m guessing there fewer signed books than notes with his renowned collection noted on the holder.

He will be missed. Prayers for his family.

9. techwriter

Sadly, no autograph in mine.

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I've never understood why people thought a book more valuable because of a signature. I guess it is the same sort of thing as when people will pay more for an encapsulated coin when it bears the signature of someone who is supposed to be famous.

11. techwriter

You're right! I'll call my mom and tell her the Profiles in Courage autographed by Kennedy is not very valuable and she should give it to me; same probably for the Salinger Catcher In The Rye; and probably all the Perry Mason novels my dad had in his library.

12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Why would you want them if you agree with my statement?

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I have many, especially signed by R.S. Yeoman; Ken Bressett & many others
    and some dups that I'll eventually sell off.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

My kid helped me at the ANA Philly 2012 show with the local volunteer effort. We got him the deluxe leather 2012 Red Book which he got signed by everyone named on the cover and even some autographs inside that applied to certain sections.

I also have the signed set of hardbound Eliasberg sale catalogs.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Or, indeed, why they think a book more valuable because it's a first edition. Why should something be more valuable just because it's harder to find?

And why are we on this forum again? ;)

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Of course, sakata could have stopped his post after the first three words and been as informative - "I've never understood." ;)

But yeahhh, dude has "common sense", right? Uh huh, yalp. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Kind of like paying a premium for a first strike. Never understood that either.

18. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

The collecting of First Editions has gone on since the 18th C., and will continue long after everyone here has found their own peace. Autographed copies of those are collected as well, with values increased based on the scarcity of the autograph. A Salinger autograph makes the mentioned volume more valuable, with the appropriate value best found at a major book auction. Coins attributed to great collections have an additional premium, as well.

All of us have our own particular quirks when it comes to collecting, IMHO. It's up to each individual to decide what they want to collect. If it gives them pleasure, it is good for them. If no one else cares, it will have little value, but, so what, if the collector enjoyed putting it together.... Que sera, sera.....

Drawde likes this.
  19. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

There, I'm in complete agreement. I don't see where a premium is warranted, and I've read many threads about the misuse of the phrase on questionable slabs.

Draft saved Draft deleted