Ephesus as Vespasian takes over in AD 69

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

After three weeks of travels, I came home to find this coin had arrived in the mail. I am hoping that some of CT's Flavian fans will add to or correct my write-up of this coin. I bought it for the Eastern portrait of Vespasian, and the turreted female portrait, who looks like she could be Vespasian's sister on the reverse. It also interested me as a coin that dates from the transition of power that took place in AD 69.

Vespasian Ephesus .jpg
    Having read @David Atherton 's post on these coins, I am uncertain about whether or not there is a symbol below the bust on the reverse, I find it hard to draw a conclusion even with what I see as a double die match in this coin (Edit: and another obverse die match that adds to the "no mint mark" hypothesis)

Vespasian (AD 69-79), AR denarius, Ephesus, July-December 69, die axis 6 o'clock
    Obv: IMP CAES VESPAS AVG, laureate head of Vespasian right
    Rev: PACI ORB — TERR AVG, turreted and draped female bust right, no symbol.jpg below (?)
    Size: 15-18mm, 2.86g
    Ref: RIC 1397 (or maybe 1407 if there is a symbol there)

In RIC 2 these are described as provincial coins rather than military mint because the coins continue to be minted into AD 70. Mucianus, governor of Syria in AD 67, played a role in promoting Vespasian to emperor. Mucianus from a noble family was initially not a fan of Vespasian, a tough commander with little family pedigree, however he came to respect him. Both were supporters of Otho and joined forces in AD 69 as Vitellius took control of Rome. This coin was minted in Ephesus and the mint possibly started up as Mucianus moved westward against Vitellius and Vespasian took control of Egypt and set up headquarters in Alexandria.

Share your coins from the year of four emperors and any additional insight or references for these denarii of Ephesus are appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful coin, I like it very much.

Sulla80 likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great portrait. Love the coin.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My coin has a few differences. It was struck harder than many which transferred the mintmark (YO on the side?). Many coins I have seen with this mark suggest it was cut very lightly in the die. Bold strikes can make flan cracks so you can't win them all. My Pax is cuter and younger.
    rb1263fd3389.jpg

These two reinforce my point that lesser grade coins often show the mintmark poorly. Both show the mark but neither makes it clear.
    rb1260bb0986.jpg rb1265fd3390.jpg

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great New rarity and cool portrait on your coin, Sulla! Funny how it looks, to my eyes, less like Vespy, and more like if galba and vitelius had a love child!
    E6930330-ABE9-41B7-AE07-217852EB5F12.png 7BFAA16C-D578-4CF2-B1F3-A101CD2E0015.png

7. Sulla80

Thanks, @dougsmit, light-touch and off flan mint marks make these challenging to fully attribute. Your coin seems to be on a generous diameter flan? I am curious to know the diameter and weight. Quite different in style than my big heads on small diameter with rough lettering.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

2.57g. When I see a thin smashed coin like this I wonder if it was overstruck on a flattened flan. Perhaps it was previously a drachm of some sort. I recall noting these varying in weight more than usual from Rome. I did not record diameter and do not have the coin at home.

Sulla80 likes this.
  9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Beautiful coin. Sometimes you get the monogram and sometimes you don't. As was said it makes it tough to fully attribute. Here's a few of mine...

VespPaci.jpg

DSC00194.jpg
    VESPAVG.jpg

10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful coin @Sulla80

I really like the denarii of Ephesus for the Flavians.

Vesp 141 savoca.jpg
    Vespasian ric 1421 new copy 2.jpg
    Vespasian RIC 1425.jpg

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a version of this coin with a Φ mint mark for Phillippi? I've had this coin for many years, and shown it a few times, but I've never seen another. The general consensus have been that it's a barbarous imitation, although it is listed in RIC:
    [​IMG]
    Provincial Silver Denarius (or barbarous imitation)
    Phillipi mint, A.D. 69-70
    Obv: IMP CAES VESPAS AVG
    Rev: PACI OPB TERR AVG - Turretted female bust
    Φ behind bust
    RIC (New) 1407
    18mm, 2.8g.

Note the the Φ is behind the bust rather than under it. Perhaps that is what identifies it as an imitation?

Johndakerftw, Bing and Jay GT4 like this.
  12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Oh, that is a superb example of a very rare Ephesian no mintmark first issue denarius (and yes, I agree it is a no mintmark issue)!

Mine is not quite as stylish.

V1397ccc.jpg Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 3.29g
    Ephesus mint, 69-70 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES VESPAS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: PACI ORB TERR AVG; Turreted and draped female bust, r.
    RIC 1397 (R). BMC p. 89,†. RSC 291. RPC 807 (5 spec.). BNC -.
    Acquired from NB Numismatics, March 2017. Ex VAuctions 292 (Imperial Coins), 6 December 2012, lot 130.

Congrats on acquiring such a desirable piece!

13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Die match links between various obverses and mintmarked reverses show that one mint is responsible for the series, most likely Ephesus.

Here is one with the Φ mintmark.

V1407.jpg Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 2.89g
    Ephesus mint, 69-70 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES VESPAS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: PACI ORB TERR AVG; Turreted and draped female bust, r.; below, horizontal Φ
    RIC 1407 (R), BMC 437. RSC 291. RPC 813 (6 spec.). BNC 335.
    Ex CNG E281, 20 June 2012, lot 301.

14. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Vespasian says "Hmmm."
    VespasianEphesos2.jpg
    Vespasian. 69-79 AD. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.60 gm; 2h). Ephesos(?) mint. Struck circa 69-70 AD. Obv: IMP CAES VESPAS AVG, laureate head right. Rev: CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia - Ceres, veiled, seated left in ornate throne with garland hanging over back, holding grain ears, poppy, and cornucopiae; Φ (on its side) in exergue. RIC II 312 var. (obverse legend); RPC II 809 (five examples known); BMCRE 434A; BN -; RSC 65c. EF, slightly toned.
    There are various reverse mint marks. Mattingly suggests that there is a chance that the Φ mint mark stands for Philippi (See RPC II, p. 126). RPC concludes that mint marks other than EPHE (PH is ligate) "remain perplexing."

Spargrodan, Marsman, Bing and 2 others like this.
  15. Sulla80

FYI - a few interesting notes in this article from Ian Carradice in 1998, CARRADICE, I. (1998). TOWARDS A NEW INTRODUCTION TO THE FLAVIAN COINAGE. Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies. Supplement, (71), 93-117.

and some relevant notes in this article on eastern Aureii of Vespasian here: "The circulation of the gold coinage of Vespasian struck in the East" by Chris Howgego

Draft saved Draft deleted