Eould anyone be able to tell me the approximate time a coin can be kept in one of these holders befo

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DISDIK, Oct 15, 2020.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

No clue from me...they were around in the 60s, but I don't know about before then.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I have quite a bit of 2X2's in mylar covering. Also, I keep them in a Dansco album 7000 with protective slipcases. It also helps that I live in a warm/hot and dry climate in southern Nevada. So far none of my coins have shown any type of environmental damage.

4. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

I hate those cardboard ones, I had 1/2 dozen nice Morgans ruined with one pin hole in the plastic from a staple and it gets a spot of black oxidation...

DISDIK likes this.
  5. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

That is a great idea using oversized 2 X 2,s. A while ago, I ran out of cent 2 X 2's and had a bunch of nickel 2 x 2'x, so I used them for the cents. I liked it so well that I now, always use oversize 2 x 2's. Thanks for the info.

6. STU

STU Active Member

i have lots like this been 50 years for some they look the same as when i put them there keep them dry and cool

7. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Back in the sixties some 2x2 holders were sticky and did not need staples. The glue on those did tone coins. When I get any I remove the coin and reholder it. As a general rule I put mint state coins in plastic holders and lower grades and tokens in 2x2 cardboard paper holders. One excellent reason to upsize 2x2 holders is so that the rims can be examined for damage by buyers.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What does everyone think of the air-tite "do it yourself" slabs ?
    Example: download (1).jpg

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No idea. When did slide photography start? I would imagine that was where the idea came from. Coin between two pirces of developed unexposed film stock in the 2X2 slide holder. And the earliest 2X2's that I can remember had square windows, not round ones.

-jeffB, chascat and Garlicus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted