Environmental issues, but still grade worthy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jul 15, 2017.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've personally submitted coins like this before to NGC and had them graded. They have slight issues/discolorations. I don't want to waste my money, but I think they have a shot of straight grading despite the marks and environmental issues. What do you think?
    DSCN7588-horz.jpg DSCN7589-horz.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

04 yes, 06 not likely

C-B-D likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Both of those are a crapshoot but you won't know until you try

C-B-D likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry, I have no idea, I just find half cents beautiful and wanted to say nice coins :)

Kentucky and C-B-D like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Help educate us, why would these not straight grade?

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I see no reason you would not get a straight grade but I'm not into half cents. I'd add these to my collection due to nice condition and date. There may be a chance that they have been lightly cleaned. I'd say you have a 50/50 shot.

C-B-D likes this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Both have light scratches, unintentional though they may be. The 1806 has a couple tiny, but deeper hits. And both, especially the 1806, has some blackish/brownish/redish areas of discoloration caused from exposure to the environment, or poor storage at some point.
    They aren't that bad. In fact they're amazing for 200+ year old copper. But for the TPG/present-day collector mindset, these are far from "prefect" examples of the type.

Seattlite86 and Kentucky like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I saw that and was just discounting it as circulation wear...I see what you mean.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Between the two I like the 06 obverse better even with the old hits it doesn't seem to have the pitting the other does. The reverse the 06 has the look that does get cleaned sometimes, but the 04 has pitting.

I could see either in a straight or details holder depending on the in hand look. As for what NGC will do, I can't be any help as I don't like how they handle copper nor would I send it to them this year

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This year? Why not?

12. baseball21

I just don't like how they have been grading since their new sense of direction. I personally value eye appeal over a pure technical merit if I have to pick between the two so I do prefer the PCGS grading.

More specifically my biggest complaint for NGC and copper having used them for world coins would be them details grading woodies and found that they were much to quick to suggest that things needed NCS for a straight grade when it came to toning. That's just my personal opinion and others experiences I am sure have varied, but to me was enough not to send copper there anymore if it wasn't an error

C-B-D likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Thanks. I sent in a 1909-S VDB to NGC this year. I cracked it out of a ANACS EF details Environmental Damage holder (it wasn't bad. Just had some of those red clay colored crusty spots on it). They graded it XF45. But maybe it got a key date pass...

baseball21 likes this.
  14. baseball21

Maybe, ANACS can be a bit quick sometimes with the details too though. Nice eye seeing that it didn't deserve that fate and getting it a better home.

C-B-D likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Grades just posted:
    1806 VF25
    1804 VF20

Seattlite86, ddddd, Kirkuleez and 4 others like this.
  16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

It is very true that it could have got graded more liberally because it is a classic key date. Once I posted a thread about a VG-10 at best 1877 IHC getting graded VF-20 at PCGS. I don't have pictures though.

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I have seen coins like this straight grade at both PCGS and NGC. I think it is a toss up at times on how they grade them. I have seen some worse ones straight graded on ebay. I personally think PCGS does a little better than NGC. Again it does not stop me searching - I know my album has a few anacs and ngc crack out coins in them. Even my chain cent has issues with it and it is in a straight grade holder. just my opinion for the night.

C-B-D likes this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think they silently net graded the 1804 to VF20. Clear to me it's a VF30 or 35 in terms of detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted