Environmental damage-- or works of art

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, Jan 17, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

We have all seen it in our pocket change, coins that have seen a rough time in our environment. Humans are very rough on coinage in the general public. I cannot speak for everyone but when I walk by a water fountain, I always have a tendency to throw a coin in for good luck. Evidently I'm not alone because I always see several other people doing the same thing. People lose coinage every day. In parking lots, at the beach, , and I'm sure there's many other places. I hope by this thread we can look at some of the environmental damage, I have always found several unusual environmental damage coins. And I'm sure were all aware that these coins do not add any value whatsoever to the coin itself. Then again a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Just a reminder to all CT members, this thread is for everyone. And everyone please participate if you run across some of these environmental damage coins. It will only help others understand what the environment can do to our coinage. Here are some early stages. I'm sure there will be more to come. USMC60

Attached Files:

Gilbert likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaredtrout

jaredtrout Member

All those recent issues are only worth face value anyways, lets see some pre 64 that actually have some value!

usmc60 likes this.
  4. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Well young buckaroo. Glad to see you join the thread, can you contribute any of your pre-1964. That haven't weathered the environment that well and actually worth some value.? I'll started off by this one enjoy. USMC60 ct1-17-3.jpg

Attached Files:

Gilbert likes this.
  5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I find that environmental effects, whether chemical or mechanical, can have interesting results when the coin is imaged and enlarged, such that the image can be viewed as a form of art, much like finding a piece of driftwood or a tree root with an intriguing shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JAY-AR, oval_man, Uncle Bobo and 7 others like this.
  6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Yes I like it but this is more of a roadkill, and yes it could be environmental. But truthfully I think the better thread for this one would be on my oddities and PMDs. And thank you for sharing this one with us. usmc60

Two Dogs and jaredtrout like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Truly amazing!

Wow!

I want one!

I need one!

I gotta get one!

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You really ought to like this roadkill. rk-1.jpg rk-2.jpg Like I said not too much to do with the environment, I guess it's was run over by the environment several times. LOL USMC60

oval_man, Two Dogs, Gilbert and 3 others like this.
  10. Treashunt

need it!

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

But first you have to figure out what kind of quarter it is. LOL:eek::blackalien:

12. Treashunt

The 25 cent kind

13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You're no fun. I personally believe it is a Pennsylvania 1999. The only clue I have, to my speculation is the line across the reverse.:nailbiting:o_O:blackalien:

14. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Now I'm seeing details of a coin on a slug.

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

The VA needs to put me on whatever kind of medication you're on.:happy::happy::happy::happy::blackalien:

Two Dogs likes this.
  16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

All kidding aside less try and get back on track here. Here's a nice one with some nice environmental oxidation going on. ct1-16-11.jpg ct1-16-12.jpg :happy::blackalien:

Gilbert and BadThad like this.
  17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Well here's another one was some environmental damage, with its own design.:rolleyes::blackalien: nat-1.jpg

Attached Files:

18. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I was thinking about these photos. Black works I guess. So I decided to do it with a white background, to try and bring out the natural oxidation toning.:blackalien::snaphappy:

Attached Files:

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I can contribute....this coin resides in my main collection. I dunno, had it for years, I just like it. Found it in a bag of wheats from my LCS. It was covered in thick, heavy grease...I couldn't even read the date. I soaked it in xylene for a week and this is what came out.

I guess you can call it a "Corroded Art Coin":

:p

1910black.jpg 1910blacktilt.jpg 1910blackREV.jpg 1910blackREVTILT.jpg

RonSanderson, Jimski, Rassi and 3 others like this.
  20. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I don't know I think it came out looking pretty good from what I can see.:happy::blackalien:

Attached Files:

• 2up.jpg
      2up.jpg
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
  21. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Here is another one that evidently was exposed to a very corrosive environment:snaphappy::blackalien: ct1-26-1.jpg ct1-26-2.jpg

Gilbert likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted